• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

Talking of old Birmingham schools and awards I have a copy of Historical Studies by John Richard Green dated 1903 (Macmillan) presented to my grandmother Dorothy Jefferies in 1906 for 1st prize in History in VI form at Waverley Road Secondary School with HG Drew as Headmaster. I'm not sure exactly where this is so if anyone knows please say so. My grandmother lived at 46 Forest Road, Moseley before she met and married my grandfather who lived at 63 Church Road, Moseley. I also have an old book called Her Infinite Variety by EV Lucas, dated 1908 with a letter to Dorothy dated 29 October 1908 from someone who must have been a friend called Lucy Taylor, living at 80 Oakfield Road, Cannon Hill. Interesting family history for me. If I can I will try to scan the frontspiece of each book and the letter for anyones interest.

Hi All - hope you can help - has anyone heard of "council" boarding schools - in the Birmingham area - gaing back to late 1950's early 1960's.

My best source online is at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548 . I tried a text search for the word board (ctrl F on the page). Most of the results are board schools but there are occasional references to boarders or boarding although all of these are in Grammar Schools. The nearest I could get to the dates was that King Edward's Boys School Aston experimented with a boarding school near Lichfield which all of the pupils could go to for 2-3 terms starting in 1952.

Curiously this thread may contain reference to a school which may, or may not be, an answer to the current postcard thread. Too nice a day for research here however.

Hi All - hope you can help - has anyone heard of "council" boarding schools - in the Birmingham area - gaing back to late 1950's early 1960's.

I don't know of council boarding schools in the Birmingham area but I know that there were state boarding schools that didn't cost any parent a penny. However, their children had to fit certain criteria before they were allowed to go there. I'm not sure but I believe they still exist. Perhaps if you Google "state boarding schools" it might give some information.

I,too, went to Great Barr High School and Commercial College. Not sure now of dates but I believe it must have been 1954/55 time. Ken Winfield.

Did Great Barr have a judo club ? When I was in my twenties in the 1960's, I recall going there for a 'grading' one Sunday afternoon.

My best source online is at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548 . I tried a text search for the word board (ctrl F on the page). Most of the results are board schools but there are occasional references to boarders or boarding although all of these are in Grammar Schools. The nearest I could get to the dates was that King Edward's Boys School Aston experimented with a boarding school near Lichfield which all of the pupils could go to for 2-3 terms starting in 1952.
This was Longdon Hall. It was also the residence of the King Edward's Aston's Headmaster. Longdon Hall was is no longer used by King Edward's and last I heard it was a special needs school.

Back