• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

If no-one objects, over the next few weeks, I shall move posts and images relating to individual schools to each specific school thread. That way fellow pupils will be better able to access and enjoy the information members have kindly posted here.

I plan to leave a list of "changed or demolished" schools with a link to the specific school thread for more info. Viv.

Does this fit in here?
Dave A
View attachment 115859

Thanks Dave, Might be slightly out of the scope of this thread as its higher education, unless of course the school of art catered for up to 18 year olds (and it's changed in some way). I believe it's now part of Birmingham City university. Viv.

Last edited:
Update on post #227.

I've now almost completed editing this thread. I've moved any general comments about individual schools to the threads covering each school. And I've left links (where possible) showing where further information might be found.

I have to say I'm truly astounded at the number of individual school threads we have and the contributions made by members. Believe me they make interesting reading. So thank you all (especially Mayfield for starting this off). Now go on, get in there and have a trip down memory lane......

AND if you have photos, school badges - in fact anything of interest- please add it to the inividual thread. Many thanks all. Viv.

If no-one objects, over the next few weeks, I shall move posts and images relating to individual schools to each specific school thread. That way fellow pupils will be better able to access and enjoy the information members have kindly posted here.

I plan to leave a list of "changed or demolished" schools with a link to the specific school thread for more info. Viv.
I have some interests in schools attended by family members:.
Stanley House School Edgbaston - my dad 1934 to 1940
Edgbaston School for Girls - my aunt 1933 to 1940
Waverley School - my grandmother was in 6th form 1906
St Albans School - my aunt taught here 1960 to 1986.
Rosslyn School - my earliest school memory about 1960.

Am trying track down details of where my grandfather and great grandfather went to school, would be Aston / Small Heath area alongside other old family I'm hunting out through this brilliant site.

I have found an old book belonging to my Grandmother with a plate in the front awarding her the book from St James' Ashted Henry St Girls School. The problem is from what I have read that the school closed in 1894. This would have been before my grandmother was born, and the book itself was published in 1920. Anyone able to help to explain this please?

The c1916 maps show a school in Henry st, on the corner of Francis st, which the earlier maps show is St James School Ashted. The two cuttings below show that a St James School Ashted and a St James School , Henry St were still there in 1915 and 1919 respectively

Birm Gazette.28.10.1919.jpgEv.Despatch. 24.3.1915.jpg

hello
Farm street and harry lucas are the same school when i went
Roystonp123

Edit. A link to the Harry Lucas School thread is here https://birminghamhistory
Edit
For those looking for details about individual schools, please type the school name in the search bar to bring up individual school threads.

Edit
For those looking for old school badges see this link here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/school-badges.21841/#post-394312

...........................................................................................................................
With reference to thread concerning School Badges. I am compiling a list of obsolete Birmingham schools (schools no longer in existance). Please add the name of any school that fits the criteria. Here are some to start the list. Mabz

Rea Street Junior/Infant
Bloomsbury School
Farm Street Junior/Infant
Harry Lucas Secondary School
Gower Street
Lozells Girls School
Archbishop Masterson
Summer Lane
Burlington Street

I went to Ley Hill Primary School Northfield aged 8 when it first opened in 1954. It's now changed its name to Orchard Croft Primary School. The majority of the Ley Hill council estate, which was built at the time, has now been demolished and new private houses built in its place. Perhaps the change of name was to reflect this.

I started off at St Patrick's Dudley Road, then St Peters off Broad St , then Cardinal Newman Poplar avenue . I know the second and third have gone , not sure about St Patrick's though

Back