• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham Repertory Theatre

Yeah...the old rep in all of it's glory. Still there today and maybe for ever. Us Fogey's will remember that Midland Red bus terminus's were across the street and up the hill to the...hmm. old roofless market hall on Worcester Street. Was at the Rep. twice from school. One play was 'Gaslight' an old standard in those days. Picture of the back of the Market Hall on Worcester Street...or was it the front? More ostentatious than the other end in the Bull Ring. Roof still on here.
Up the hill to New Street and the old Swan Passage of Charles Dickens time....and King Edwards School of sad passing.

Attachments

• market h..jpg
    market h..jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I regularly 'played the wag' from School to go to the rep. I remember 2 members of the company Mr Ralph Nossek and would you believe Julie Christie! My interest in theatre just grew and grew after that. My first job after leaving School was at the Birmingham Hippodrome. I have spent all my working life working in theatre, and television thanks to the Birmingham repertory theatre.
I remember seeing Julie Christie on stage there and also Derek Jacobi - must look to see if I still have the programmes.....I really loved the old Rep.

Back