• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Just a quick visit may be on later - with all the redevelopment around Perry Barr thought I would post this picture to show that it is nothing new.
As you can see plenty of H&S in action - can you imagine hanging one handed off the ironwork these days.

Nice selection line of buses and is that a Commer lorry ? There is a Midland Red bus in the distance also.
For those from the South this is Birchfield Road underpass under construction - it is currently in the process of ben rebuilt for the Commonwealth Games
View attachment 157213
good grief will those 2 men please step forward if they survived...cracking photo steve cheers

lyn

This is Kennings Garage Bradford Street in 1976, nice and clean BP garage with a big Rover sat on the road outside. Love the little petrol kiosk and the oil dispenser in front of it and open 24 hours - quite unusual for back then I suppose.

View attachment 157193
Thanks Steve - I did actually look there but I think the grey walls put me off.

Attachments

• Kennings Garage Bradford Street - 2021.JPG
    Kennings Garage Bradford Street - 2021.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 18
Just a quick visit may be on later - with all the redevelopment around Perry Barr thought I would post this picture to show that it is nothing new.
As you can see plenty of H&S in action - can you imagine hanging one handed off the ironwork these days.

Nice selection line of buses and is that a Commer lorry ? There is a Midland Red bus in the distance also.
For those from the South this is Birchfield Road underpass under construction - it is currently in the process of ben rebuilt for the Commonwealth Games
View attachment 157213
I’m fairly sure that the truck front and centre is a Guy Warrior, and that the one between the buses you have correctly identified as a Commer. Those of us who were around and transport enthusiasts will instantly be recalling the noise of that three cylinder supercharged two-stroke diesel engine. The Midland Red’s contribution to the picture looks to be a D9.

I find it easier to drop a quick single picture in currently. This is one of those picture that shows the transition of Birmingham, the bottom half shows the roads by St Martins and the entrance to the car park , the top half though is worth a study if only to show what has disappeared.
Note the neon lettering on the white building on the left and top right isn't that the start of New Street but as you move left so much has gone - enjoy.

Test175 1.jpg

Some of those Commers were petrol engine John, I know because I used to fill one belonging to the Southport Sand company from our 'over the footpath' petrol pump which was an ancient rack type that you wound up to the top and back down for each gallon, not a lot of fun for the twenty gallon top up.

Some of those Commers were petrol engine John, I know because I used to fill one belonging to the Southport Sand company from our 'over the footpath' petrol pump which was an ancient rack type that you wound up to the top and back down for each gallon, not a lot of fun for the twenty gallon top up.
Yes, using the Humber Super Snipe engine tipped over at a 66 degree angle to lower the engine enough to provide a reasonably flat floor in the QX cab. That engine was 4 litres, no wonder it needed a 20 gallon tank.

I find it easier to drop a quick single picture in currently. This is one of those picture that shows the transition of Birmingham, the bottom half shows the roads by St Martins and the entrance to the car park , the top half though is worth a study if only to show what has disappeared.
Note the neon lettering on the white building on the left and top right isn't that the start of New Street but as you move left so much has gone - enjoy.

View attachment 157222
Absolutely fabulous Steve. So much detail in this photograph. Yes, top right is the start of New street. Would you know what year this was taken please? Regards,

Absolutely fabulous Steve. So much detail in this photograph. Yes, top right is the start of New street. Would you know what year this was taken please? Regards,
I am sure the more experience member will be able to put a year to the stages of development.
I had these images from Geoff Thompson copied to me from someone who used some of my images for a book.
All images - Geoff's and mine were saved from scrapping when Birmingham Council moved buildings and were left behind - unfortunately the black and white photos and the colour slides were just removed from slide trays or boxes and had no catalogue - or not one that we found.

View attachment 157222

What an interesting picture, tried to remove a few more spots.

9519DF61-6370-4AF3-9E88-2FE67F1440D2.jpeg

Now this is 189 Corporation Street in 1968, firstly can I point out the two ladies looking out the window and if you zoom in the size of the typewriter. The price of televisions looks quite reasonable and I like the newspapers outside Finlays. If you look in the entrance of Ruskin chambers and see the name tabs, last time I went past it still looks like that !

View attachment 153066

SteveBhx, attachment 153066 which shows 189 Corporation Street and Ruskin Chambers, I think that Ruskin Chambers was number 191 which is where I as a young girl of fifteen years old went to The New Era College to learn Business Studies and Shorthand and Typewriting. I think that the ladies in the photo were probably in the College since we were all trained to use those 'big' typewriters which, obviously, were of that time. The letters on the keys were covered so that one couldn't keep looking down to check if the correct key had been hit!
Anthea

What an interesting picture, tried to remove a few more spots.

View attachment 157223
Hi Pedrocut,
thanks for the tidying - as I have said before, I have only the basic photo software and only limited patience. These were scanned by someone else but were glass mounted slides with years of handling so you can imagine the rubbish.
I have a number of slides to scan but are put off by the state of them , I am tempted to remove them from their mounts but we shall see.
I have 76 slides tidied to post and others I am currently working on plenty more.

Hi Susan, this picture of the Bull Ring appears elsewhere on this site, dated 1960, which sounds about right, as the land has been cleared for construction of the Rotunda, which commenced in 1961

In a quiet moment I have uploaded this picture - loads of vehicles - I did google this so I know its Smallbrook Street and it was demolished 1960s for the ring road ( but feel free to tell me if I am wrong) .
View attachment 157224
You're spot on with the location, Steve. What fab photos you're unearthing for us-thank you! I'm not so hot on 1950s cars: the Austin A40, on the right, was launched in '54, so gives us a timeframe between 1954-60 when the photo was taken. I'm sure Johnfromstaffs will guide us further!

Hi Pedrocut,
thanks for the tidying - as I have said before, I have only the basic photo software and only limited patience. These were scanned by someone else but were glass mounted slides with years of handling so you can imagine the rubbish.
I have a number of slides to scan but are put off by the state of them , I am tempted to remove them from their mounts but we shall see.
I have 76 slides tidied to post and others I am currently working on plenty more.
We appreciate everything you do Steve. Cannot thank you enough, these old photos mean so much. Regards,

'Milk-Bar' on the left, the 'Yoofs' of the day would hang about in there. Two shops down is 'Marsh & Baxters' butchers.
I might be off thread here Bob but do you remember Marsh & Baxters' in Dale End. I used to go there for my nan. Chitterlings and brawn! Regards, Sue

This is 459 Green Lane something a bit different - builder yard in the middle of the residential street. Now as we are on two street here I assume that one of them isn't Green Lane or the property is on Green Lane and the two roads are not ?
Anyway nice Morris Minor Van and a Triumph Spitfire.
If you wonder where you get chimney pots from these were your people.

459 Green Lane  - 73.jpg461 Green Lane  - 73.jpg461x2 Green Lane  - 73.jpg

Back