• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I have been having a play with the coloured slides - my pictures are scans of photographs, I thought I would upload a few.
First is a topical one - Duke of Edinburgh with I presume the Queen passing the front of the Town Hall, I know I repeat this but I have no date with these images . I am sure someone will make an educated guess based on the surrounding building V Royal visits . Extra ten points for naming the striped flag?

Test295 1.jpg

Almost looks like it was taken from the roof of Baskerville house a view over the jewellery Quarter towards Barr Beacon in the distance. Funny to see the direction the traffic is going, Midland Red bus and the West Midland bus with twin entrances apparently not a success as too many used the rear entrance to get on without paying. Nice row of shops and the old sloped car park on the left and a selection of cars .

Test170 1.jpg

Rolls-Royces always cause problems, and those from the Royal Mews are even more of a problem because they don’t have number plates. The front car is a Phantom V or VI, and the old stager behind is a Phantom IV from 1954.

Interesting ticket booth for the tulip festival - programmes 1 shilling, back of the old lending library with the statue of Priestley (?) and the fountain. Variety of male fashions on show and note the man with his gloves polishing his car on the left . Seems we lost a lot in this area . also note the modern looking street lamp.

Test165 1.jpg

Finally one of the most interesting photos so far I feel, evocative of an age. So where do I start, location - well on the left Regent Place so I am thinking Caroline street (?) then working round, corner shop with its signs, children playing on the Midland Counties milk float, and child with trolley with dog in the road. Something & Lee on the factory at the end but notice all the chimney pots above the factory, telephone poles, gas lamp then all of humanity on the street, moms, dads, children, prams and grans!! Wonderful - never to be seen again .
EDIT: after a big hunt my original location can be discounted - the location of the grocers shop is 107 St Mark's Street (on corner of Regent Place), so the road is St Marks Street Ladywood. thanks to so many people who assisted.

Test262 1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting ticket booth for the tulip festival - programmes 1 shilling, back of the old lending library with the statue of Priestley (?) and the fountain. Variety of male fashions on show and note the man with his gloves polishing his car on the left . Seems we lost a lot in this area . also note the modern looking street lamp.

View attachment 156644
Would you Adam and Eve it !

Finally one of the most interesting photos so far I feel, evocative of an age. So where do I start, location - well on the left Regent Place so I am thinking Caroline street (?) then working round, corner shop with its signs, children playing on the Midland Counties milk float, and child with trolley with dog in the road. Something & Lee on the factory at the end but notice all the chimney pots above the factory, telephone poles, gas lamp then all of humanity on the street, moms, dads, children, prams and grans!! Wonderful - never to be seen again .

View attachment 156646

Worth a thread of its own !

Doesn't seem to be the Regent Place off Caroline St. Maps show a distinct bend to the right which the picture doesn't appear to have.

View attachment 156646
pretty sure ive seen this one steve...have to say i dont think its caroline st in the jewellery quarter but stand to be corrected

I would stick my neck out and say that it is Caroline Street, don't forget all or most of the buildings have disappeared since that photo was taken, I do think that Regent Place has been widened to become a proper street instead of just a passage way which it looks like to me, there seems to be one or two building on the left still standing, the industrial building looks like it may have had a facelift or even been rebuilt..., I don't know that area that well so I am always willing to be corrected

There are three Regent Places in my AtoZ from the 1960s the one by Caroline Street the other two in Coventry and Warwick., so I guess it's the Caroline Street one.

I have been having a play with the coloured slides - my pictures are scans of photographs, I thought I would upload a few.
First is a topical one - Duke of Edinburgh with I presume the Queen passing the front of the Town Hall, I know I repeat this but I have no date with these images . I am sure someone will make an educated guess based on the surrounding building V Royal visits . Extra ten points for naming the striped flag?

View attachment 156639
Think the flag is that of Uganda(with a lot of help from wikipedia)

Not sure when the photo showing Regent Place was taken, but the 1946 Kellys lists 5 Regent Places in birmingham & suburbs:

1619899261020.png
It is difficult sometimes to judge the width of streets and entrance on photos, but if the photo is Caroline st, then the opening a litrle further on must be Regent Passage, which does not look right to me. Below is a map showing the Clark st one, which is definitely not the photo

map c1955 showing Regent Place , Clark st.jpg

Not sure when the photo showing Regent Place was taken, but the 1946 Kellys lists 5 Regent Places in birmingham & suburbs:

View attachment 156655
It is difficult sometimes to judge the width of streets and entrance on photos, but if the photo is Caroline st, then the opening a litrle further on must be Regent Passage, which does not look right to me. Below is a map showing the Clark st one, which is definitely not the photo

View attachment 156656
Just to clarify my location was taken from modern mapping, I could be wrong, can I also point out the factory at the end which looks like " & Lee" do we have location for this?

Doesn't seem to be the Regent Place off Caroline St. Maps show a distinct bend to the right which the picture doesn't appear to have.
yes i agree mws if it is the regent place off caroline st they must have also rewidened it an awful lot.. here is a street view and steves photo to compere..as said i am sure i have this photo but cant recall the location yetregent place.jpg

Here is a map c1955 showing Regent Place Hyde Road, which does not look quite right. I cannot find the position of the one in Cranemore st, though it looks rather a short street to fit with the photo. The Upper Sutton St one has three possibilities . It is one of courts 5. 7 or 9, but there is no T junction a short distance further down the road, so it cannot be that one

map c1955 showing Regent Place, Hyde Road.jpgmap c1955 showing the three possibilities for Regent Place, upper sutton St.jpg

Looking at my AtoZ map I think the photo maybe is of Vittoria Street looking towards Graham Street.
It is strange but I also wondered if it was the other end of Regent Place where it joins Vittoria Street.
Maps of Caroline Street worried me because of the absence of small, house-like buildings.

Back