• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Re post #1298. I remember all of those shops on the corner of Corporation Street and Bull Street. Especially “Noel”, but had forgotten the name. I asked on another thread if Noel’s was a shoe shop, had a hazy memory of it, but seeing it in that photo I remember now it was a clothes shop. And more importantly it’s where I bought my wedding outfit in the 1970s - blimey how bad is that to forget the name of the shop where you bought your wedding clothes ! The shop was across two floors, the main shop as seen and a lower section which presumably was on a line with the subway/underpass. That’s where the changing rooms were. Seem to remember there were no windows in the changing room so that probably means it was below ground.

Viv.

Last edited:
hi steve ive been away since last monday just catching up...once again a great set of photos you have posted many thanks

lyn

Could post #1300 be opposite Cartland Road, the edge of the bridge over the Bourn?
I had to go back to 2008 for the advertising hoardings but I think you are spot on although the layout has changed. The shop on the right has a chimney like the one in the photo and there is the edge of the bridge visible.
Snap - posting at the same time Jim.

Attachments

• 4 Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    4 Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 7
Finally for today we have 321 Stratford Road 1969, W.T Coulson motor body repairs, seems to have a fine selection to work on. Fine row of terrace backs and a BMC van Envoy potatoes and eggs. Is that a Morris Oxford estate next to it?

View attachment 156025
I have had problems with this junction before as it is now very different. A 1960s map shows the position of 321 which not longer exists. An updated map with the red marker in the middle of the road.

Attachments

• 321 Stratford Road - 2021.JPG
    321 Stratford Road - 2021.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 321 Stratford Road - map.JPG
    321 Stratford Road - map.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 321 Stratford Road - map today.JPG
    321 Stratford Road - map today.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
This is 10 Holyhead Road in 1973, what was a nice house sometime, with a garage on the far side and two cars on the rear side with a factory in the back garden. Tyre centre nearest to us.

View attachment 156015
I think the property still existed in 2008 but what a change now.

Attachments

• 10 Holyhead Road -2008.JPG
    10 Holyhead Road -2008.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 10 Holyhead Road -2021.JPG
    10 Holyhead Road -2021.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 19
We have 3 Highfield Road Hall Green 1972, mock tudor with leaded windows, bay windows upstairs and attic windows also.
Good to see the butcher laying out his wares, string of sausages hanging up and pigs liver for sale and then a couple of imposing financial buildings.

View attachment 156022
I admire this every time I drive by.

Attachments

• 3 Highfield Road HG -2021.JPG
    3 Highfield Road HG -2021.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 17
This is a few more shots of the shops in Corporation street only thumbnails as they are not the best of images.
So far we have got as far as Rackhams this is the run after North Western Arcade.
First is Henry Field, then Peter Lord, Paige, Dolcis and finally Noel on the corner.

I will cross the road and work back down another day.

Attachments

• Dolcis -2021.JPG
    Dolcis -2021.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Noel - 2021.JPG
    Noel - 2021.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Peter Lord - 2021.JPG
    Peter Lord - 2021.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 15
What a difference it made by filling in the subway/underpass on that corner #1310 - for the better too. I always wonder if the subways were simply filled in and the walls etc are still there to be again uncovered in the future. Viv.

What a difference it made by filling in the subway/underpass on that corner #1310 - for the better too. I always wonder if the subways were simply filled in and the walls etc are still there to be again uncovered in the future. Viv.
I saw the blood donor under pass filled with giant polystyrene blocks this were done at the same time so I assume the same method was used,

I can just see in a couple of thousand years time a latter day Tony Robinson digging it up and telling everyone it's the tomb of some ancient chieftain. :)

An aerial view of Birmingham looking north see that there is nothing at Holloway Head and New Street has not been build and the Market hall is intact. It is also a shame to see the old buildings on Hurst street that have been lost, but you can see the Old back to backs that have been preserved.

Test338 1.jpg

Due to Ring Road redevelopment we are moving to.. says the sign in one of the shop windows, the car is in the way of the location, nice Morris van and a Policeman walking up the road. Crates on the road to save a parking space. The lamppost and sign are quite ornamental. There are a couple of Bus stops and a barbers pole down the road, offers on Location please.
EDIT : Suggested location: Moor St. looking towards Bull Ring, Woolworth's at the end of the road.

Test290 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back