• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road in 1972, nice leaded windows and a couple of tall chimneys, Rover on the forecourt and interesting brickwork over the downstairs windows and old style wrought iron gates which you don't see any more.

View attachment 155694
Seems to have been the Fountain Court until mid 2015. Now an Indian YMCA providing student accommodation. This view is Nov 2015 as the property (still the same usage) is now surrounded by large trees and hardly visible from the road.

Attachments

• Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
Finally 11 Witton Road in 1969, nice selection of street signs on the left hand side of the road and are they a couple of Vauxhalls under the bridge? On the right we have the entrance to IMI , with security reading his newspaper and an Evening Mail kiosk and Lloyds Bank blending in.

View attachment 155696
Difficult with so many changes but fairly sure this is the right place. Looks like same brick pillar on the right as well.

Attachments

• 11 Witton Road - 2021.JPG
    11 Witton Road - 2021.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 27
There are some picture of all those locations posted, there was also a pdf link posted which gave details and a small picture of all my posted images with addresses which someone should be able to give details if you watch the page, this may help you - thanks for the comment and welcome
Thx! If someone has the pdf link, it would be greatly appreciated

Thx! If someone has the pdf link, it would be greatly appreciated
A pic finder/index for SteveBhx's thread in pdf format
This link below from OldMohawk should take you to the pdf file you are looking for
Really needs to be put in a place on the forum where it can be found easily( In the SteveBhx Pics thread?)
How come OldMohawk can upload a 7.56 Mb pdf file, but I can't?

Last edited:
A pic finder/index for SteveBhx's thread in pdf format
This link below from OldMohawk should take you to the pdf file you are looking for
Really needs to be put in a place on the forum where it can be found easily( In the SteveBhx Pics thread?)
How come OldMohawk can upload a 7.56 Mb pdf file, but I can't?

Sorry missed this message been a bit busy recently hope everyone has seen the link, thanks to everyone for sorting this and the continued support. I am back in the office a couple of days a week and also starting to be on the road so not able to post so much.

Good afternoon, we have 97 Grange Road in 1973, William Bros electrical, interesting building in a residential row, painted sign on the wall and interesting bits either side of the door and on the left hand wall ( must have a proper name) and the house number over the door in the glass. Rear of a Morris van and nice to see nets in the windows.

97 Grange Road - 73 x.jpg

Next we have Western house on Smallbrook Queensway 1970, corner of Hurst street, slope down to the dingy underpass and note traffic lights to allow traffic out of Hurst street. Interesting to see the uplighters on the building and also the shape of the support columns - ribbed concrete effect.

Western House - 70.jpg

Next up brace yourself John, 143 - 159 Holyhead Road in 1974, Esso garage although I am not sure it is open for petrol, with lots to see, nice mini for £175 and the delux sales office. Fine selection of cars on or about the forecourt and even some been worked on in the road.

143 - 159 Holyhead Road - 74.jpg

The back of the photo says High Street / Winchester Street Aston 1969 but as we can all see it says Webster Street, but the local will know!!
Jack Wolfe Turf accountant - sound so old fashioned these days all blanked out windows and pictures of jockeys. Next door are the offices of Z cars with one of their cars parked outside. See the three storey houses and the brickwork over the windows upstairs.

High Street Winchester Street Aston - 69.jpg

I got carried away and posted my set of pics under old street pics re posting below - happy for someone to delete the others

Last edited:
Getting back on track - this is 595 Stratford Road 1969, already doomed by the look of the sign.
Windows left open , interesting building with a doorway in the left hand bay window, sign pointing to the office and apply within for vacancies - next door there is a nice Walls ice cream sign, which even in black and white most can see the colours
595 Stratford Road - 69.jpg

Back