• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I am afraid this is one of the "hoardings" Pershore Road in 1972, nice Bedford Van and a Cadburys Commer , I love the traditional shops - no multi national here.
Like the two signs - get cheesed off with an Ansells Bitterman - ironic !!

EDIT - Johnfromstaffs stated the Cadbury vehicle is from BMC not Commer - thanks John
View attachment 155606
Mercury Dry Cleaners was at 1426 Pershore Road. Now occupied by JJs flooring

Attachments

• Hoardings Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    Hoardings Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 18
next we have 499 Lichfield Road, no year but presume mid seventies, I like the site off for the scrap yard, I am not sure if the Mini is going in or just escaped, MG on the right and the Gasometer in the background.

View attachment 155607
W Jones in 1972 phone book is listed at 475 and today that is Salford Metals. There seems to be a block of buildings marked 475 to 499 but I wondered about the large shed like building in both photos.

Attachments

• 499 LichfieldRoad- 2021.JPG
    499 LichfieldRoad- 2021.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
@SteveBhx Really good pictures, thank you! So good to see them all. Do you have anymore around New Street, Lower Temple St, Stephenson St, Corporation St where the Midland hotel used to be (currently Burlington Hotel)? :)

There are some picture of all those locations posted, there was also a pdf link posted which gave details and a small picture of all my posted images with addresses which someone should be able to give details if you watch the page, this may help you - thanks for the comment and welcome

Next up is R & B motor company on Glenavon Road in 1970, does seem to have a couple of interesting vehicles inside - Jaguar and a BMW . There is an old style pedestrian crossing sign and is that a drain vent on the left - bit too tall for a lampost I feel.

Glenavon Road - 70.jpg

This is Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road in 1972, nice leaded windows and a couple of tall chimneys, Rover on the forecourt and interesting brickwork over the downstairs windows and old style wrought iron gates which you don't see any more.

Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road - 72.jpg

1140 Stratford Road Hall Green in 1974, again another few items we dont see anymore - the advert board right across the pavement, a proper pram which seems to have been left outside with the child in it. A little Nationwide Building Society and Harris Clean - are they still going? and an independent shop Phillipa for dresses. I have also not forgotten the Ford Cortina, On the extreme right is the old style Midland Bank sign - Griffin ?

1140 Stratford Road HG - 74 x.jpg

Finally 11 Witton Road in 1969, nice selection of street signs on the left hand side of the road and are they a couple of Vauxhalls under the bridge? On the right we have the entrance to IMI , with security reading his newspaper and an Evening Mail kiosk and Lloyds Bank blending in.

11 Witton Road - 69.jpg

1140 Stratford Road Hall Green in 1974, again another few items we dont see anymore - the advert board right across the pavement, a proper pram which seems to have been left outside with the child in it. A little Nationwide Building Society and Harris Clean - are they still going? and an independent shop Phillipa for dresses. I have also not forgotten the Ford Cortina, On the extreme right is the old style Midland Bank sign - Griffin ?

View attachment 155695
Phillipa still there in 2008 but changed in 2020

Screenshot 2021-04-09 203551 2008.pngScreenshot 2021-04-09 203730 2020.png

View attachment 155695
Assume that this is half way along Hall Green Parade. I left Hall Green in 1967 but looks as if Boots the Chemists (extreme left) was still there in 1974. Dave

View attachment 155695
love the coach built pram steve.. the last time i used one of those was for my second child in 1988 although not as practical as todays modern buggies there is something quite lovely about pushing out a new born in a silver cross

lyn

What happened to all the ‘stink poles’. Don’t we need them anymore?
A change in the building regulations quite a few years ago meant that each dwelling had to have a soil and vent pipe, so the stench poles were made redundant.

How I wished I had had a camera to take some similar shots in my younger day, but I didn't get my first camera until I was 20 and processing film was quite expensive and I guess I had so many other things on my mind. If only we were blessed with the foresight to see 50 or 60 years ahead at that age then perhaps things would undoubtedly be very different. :)

Maurice :cool:
Maurice, you now have the foresight. Get out and about with your camera before it's too late.

Next up is R & B motor company on Glenavon Road in 1970, does seem to have a couple of interesting vehicles inside - Jaguar and a BMW . There is an old style pedestrian crossing sign and is that a drain vent on the left - bit too tall for a lampost I feel.

View attachment 155693
Briefly lived near here in mid 1960's can anyone check if the local health centre was opposite at that time, now a garage, Burton's, and an old people's home.

This is Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road in 1972, nice leaded windows and a couple of tall chimneys, Rover on the forecourt and interesting brickwork over the downstairs windows and old style wrought iron gates which you don't see any more.

View attachment 155694
Seems to have been the Fountain Court until mid 2015. Now an Indian YMCA providing student accommodation. This view is Nov 2015 as the property (still the same usage) is now surrounded by large trees and hardly visible from the road.

Attachments

• Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    Fountain Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
Finally 11 Witton Road in 1969, nice selection of street signs on the left hand side of the road and are they a couple of Vauxhalls under the bridge? On the right we have the entrance to IMI , with security reading his newspaper and an Evening Mail kiosk and Lloyds Bank blending in.

View attachment 155696
Difficult with so many changes but fairly sure this is the right place. Looks like same brick pillar on the right as well.

Attachments

• 11 Witton Road - 2021.JPG
    11 Witton Road - 2021.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 27
There are some picture of all those locations posted, there was also a pdf link posted which gave details and a small picture of all my posted images with addresses which someone should be able to give details if you watch the page, this may help you - thanks for the comment and welcome
Thx! If someone has the pdf link, it would be greatly appreciated

Thx! If someone has the pdf link, it would be greatly appreciated
A pic finder/index for SteveBhx's thread in pdf format
This link below from OldMohawk should take you to the pdf file you are looking for
Really needs to be put in a place on the forum where it can be found easily( In the SteveBhx Pics thread?)
How come OldMohawk can upload a 7.56 Mb pdf file, but I can't?

Last edited:
Back