• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Here is Onibury Road Handsworth in 1975, Texaco service station two styles of petrol pumps offering two and four star petrol and look at the price - 68.5p per gallon , green shield stamps and plenty of bunting. Couple of fine buildings next door.

View attachment 155489
This is in the days when you got free gifts with petrol. I still remember collecting all the 1970 England World Cup squad coins that, I seem to recall, were mounted in a booklet. I note this station offers Green Shield Stamps. Takes me back to filling books for whatever item was needed. A bit of a palaver but gave a feeling of satisfaction.

Couple more of Geoff Thompsons slides this time the colour picture is the aerial one, centred on the Market Hall, again year for you to suggest. If you look closely there is a train at platform at New Street, Midland Red bus by the market hall. It is also interesting how the tower on Central Hall lines up with the front of the Fire Station. Selection of wagons at Moor street .
EDIT: Vivienne 14 says this is pre 1963 - the year the hall was demolished - thanks

View attachment 155485
What a superb picture of a time of enormous change. I noticed that the dual carriage way ended at Carrs Lane. A great overview of the John Ball pictures see http://www.jlb2011.co.uk/iob/index.htm. I suggest 1961.

180 School Road Hall Green, 1969 VG foodstores with Barber Tea window adverts, with VG American Lard at 6 1/2 d, Arnold shoe repairs and Tricia clothes, half timbered frontage with leaded windows.

View attachment 155491
I've lived in Hall Green for 50 years so know these shops well. Here's what they look like now on Google Maps (I've yet to learn how to screenshot it so apologies):

Another aerial view, as before, no idea of year or location - there are a few interesting shaped building for you to work on and a mix of old and new too, good luck.

Edit : Dave Riley suggested Holloway Head itself near the junction of Marshall St.

Test274 1.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more of Geoff Thompsons slides this time the colour picture is the aerial one, centred on the Market Hall, again year for you to suggest. If you look closely there is a train at platform at New Street, Midland Red bus by the market hall. It is also interesting how the tower on Central Hall lines up with the front of the Fire Station. Selection of wagons at Moor street .
EDIT: Vivienne 14 says this is pre 1963 - the year the hall was demolished - thanks

View attachment 155485
Best I can do

Attachments

• MarketHallAerial 2021.JPG
    MarketHallAerial 2021.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 27
Finally Soho Road in 1971, so much to see with cars vans and lorries everywhere, like the clock on the front of the building on the right and the Withers sign down the corner of another. Old style bus shelter , zebra crossing and much more

View attachment 155492
I think this is roughly right. See post #1082

Attachments

• Soho Road -2021.JPG
    Soho Road -2021.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back