• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Quick visit this afternoon, I have about 40 pictures which I would call walls - the photos were taken as locations for advert boards - my question are they of interest ? - This is 775 Bristol Road in 79, as you see, a wall, some have a bit of a view, some are a line of hoardings on a street, some have cars parked in front - I am happy to scan them if someone is going to look.
Just finished scanning Garages / petrol stations and the Rackhams end of Corporation Street. Let me know your thoughts edit .......

775 Bristol Road - 79.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly me, i`ve only just realised you can zoom in to different parts of the photo, duh !

I think this is the side view and it seems to be where Sainsbury's now is.
1616260442985.png
1616260517208.png

10 Pershore Street again from 1980 one of those places we all passed, USDAW offices, sign for Bath Passage, metal framed windows on Laurence Brothers and the usual pedestrians in the rain.

View attachment 154699
My first mother-in-law worked for Lawrence Bros. They seem to have supplied everything. When they closed she bought up tons of items almost for pennies. We virtually kitted out our flat from Lawrences, all for silly prices. They must have closed in the 1970s, don’t think they were taken over by another company. Well if they were, there wouldn’t have been any stock left ! Viv.

Arden Hotel New Street 1969, nice brickwork, RAC sign old style bus stop and the entrance to Lloyd bank chambers.

View attachment 154008
Hello Steve, I think the shop on the right of the Arden Hotel is Wimpy's. I think they were the first to stay open all night back in the day. I had many a good cheese burger in there, I used to sit by that window are the memories thank you.
Charles G

More than happy to assist Lyn , as I said , you might have 100 photos of Aunty Nellie and Uncle Frank but everyone occasionally takes a photo of where they went these are the ones that make it all worth while.
My Uncle died and left a host of pictures this was among them -worth sorting through him and his wife!!

View attachment 154517

Noticed this picture sent in to the Post...November 1958, Birmingham Weekly Post....Royal Albert Bridge.

BAF3DCFE-F63D-4F63-AE83-DB5DC8D4D891.jpeg

In the spirit of giving full attention to Steve’s generous photographic additions to BHF, I’ve now tidied this thread so that the focus isn’t lost.

Please keep those photos coming Steve, as members are clearly enthusiastic to see more. Walls an’ all !

Great to see such enthusiasm. Thanks all.

Viv.

Last edited:
Quick visit this afternoon, I have about 40 pictures which I would call walls - the photos were taken as locations for advert boards - my question are they of interest ? - This is 775 Bristol Road in 79, as you see, a wall, some have a bit of a view, some are a line of hoardings on a street, some have cars parked in front - I am happy to scan them if someone is going to look.
Just finished scanning Garages / petrol stations and the Rackhams end of Corporation Street. Let me know your thoughts edit .......

View attachment 154774
Steve, if any of the "walls" contain photos of cars, johnfromstaffs will enlighten us with his knowledge, so yes please keep posting. They are very much appreciated

Back