• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Vaguely think they were behind the cafe. I can picture a sort of driveway to the right of the cafe as you faced it which led to a yard.

Couple of comments. Masshouse Circus, what a mess that was! Planned in the days when the car was meant to be 'king' and, of course, Birmingham was one the country's top 'motowns'. I read that had the planners had their way, even more of the city would have been dreadfully developed including the monstrous inner ring highway that we can see in the photo. Colmore Row would have been wiped out though, they did a pretty thorough job on Great Charles Street.

I've long heard about the Beehive and now know where it was. I often used to wonder what that isolated building I could see form the bus was. Another travesty was the demolition of, I think it was called, Triangle House which became a car park for the La Tour Hotel or whatever that is now called. Anyway, a bit of trivia that I'd guess most will have heard but's worth repeating, was that a certain Jeff Lyne of ELO fame worked with Robert Davis, better known as Jasper Carrot, at the Beehive before they found more worthwhile and rewarding careers!

Finally, I did the walk through the tunnels between Moor Street and Snow Hill and must be in that queue somewhere. What a great experience it was with the fee going to charity which was brilliant. I'm sure no one will disagree that thank goodness Moor Street, because it was outside the inner ring road survived. It's such a shame that Snow Hill couldn't also have been saved.

So much of the old Birmingham was destroyed in the 1960s in the name of 'progress'.

Bev Bevan worked at the Beehive.

1191 Stratford Road in 1969, worth a zoom in , looks quite modern off to the distance, then the Morris van coming towards us, railway bridge, lawn mower repairs and supplies and a selection of cars - nice MG and a very battered Herald, which brings us to Cateswell Cafe with its neon sign in the window.

View attachment 154700
A great shot which, when I checked on Googlemaps, doesn't not look that different now. (https://goo.gl/maps/pfKVNTYFUKx7NBDf9)

The modern building in the distance is the Library. We moved from Acocks Green to Hall Green in 1971 and went to the school around the corner (Hall Green Bilateral as it was then) so I know the area really well. Sadly, it was too late to visit the two cinemas that were in the area up to the 1960s; the Rialto which was further down the Stratford Road and replaced by a supermarket. This was the fate of The Robin Hood (where Waitrose is now) and which, I'm told, was a wonderful experience. However, I do remember going to a tenth birthday celebration which involved a trip to the ABC Shirley in 1970 to see Dads' Army. Sadly, once again, long since replaced by a.....supermarket!

I think you mean the Odeon Shirley - the supermarket was Safeway then Morrison's and is now closed. The Robin Hood was a great place as well.

Last edited:
I think you mean the Odeon Shirley - the supermarket was Safeway the Morrison's and is now closed. The Robin Hood was a great place as well.
Once again, my mistake;) Thanks.

On the subject of cinemas, the Warwick Bowl, which I went to on many, many occasions when we lived in Acocks Green, lasted longer than many but closed about 15-20 years ago. Interestingly, on the corner of Station Road where we lived, until the shopping centre was built in the early 70s, was a temporary porta-cabin type shop which was occupied by Paynes shoe repairers and seller of bags etc. I never asked why this should be until I discovered a couple of years ago this was the site of a cinema which showed 'movies' but without sound. When the 'talkies' came along this cinema was replaced by the bigger Warwick Bowl so named because it was on top of the bowling alley which, I believe, still operates to this day (please feel free to correct me)

How I wished I had had a camera to take some similar shots in my younger day, but I didn't get my first camera until I was 20 and processing film was quite expensive and I guess I had so many other things on my mind. If only we were blessed with the foresight to see 50 or 60 years ahead at that age then perhaps things would undoubtedly be very different. :)

Maurice :cool:
If we have had modern digital cameras then can you remember the wealth of lost buildings roads vehicles we could have captured, instead of taking a couple of photos on our box brownies and waiting months to be able to afford the developing costs at Boots we could have clicked way untill our fingers ached.
I go out with my phone or compact and come back at the end of the day with dozens of photos , if only.

Firstly a couple for jimbo - hope they are close enough to you !!
18 High Street Harborne 1965
From left to right , leg of dog, Smoke room of the pub - imagine, sign for the gents, Moggie, scooter, nice shaped frontages, sign on side of building, lamppost and Shell garage

View attachment 154696

Attachments

• 18 High Street Harborne - 2021.JPG
    18 High Street Harborne - 2021.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 14
In a few years we will forget what a cinema looks like, who'd have thought it? Here in my area of Crete, one cinema lies empty, but part of the building is the local offices of the Greek Orthodox Church, who own the building so it won't be demolished. The other has the Council Chamber sitting above it and shows occasional films and streaming of Grand Met Opera when lockdown allows, and the Council own it. I doubt whether the UK can support any more supermarkets. :)

Maurice :cool:

Maybe the older photographs are more special to us because of there being fewer taken in those days?
We don't take them so much for granted.

We now move on 15 years, 70 High Street Harborne 1980, first we have Bejam remember them? Building with the turret and the back of a Fleetliner bus. Next is a building with the shaped front - church hall? and a garage which would sort of fit with the previous picture - someone will tell you.

View attachment 154697
Right hand side completely different. The shops where Bejam's was (did it become Iceland??) still there but the houses have gone. Building with turret still there.

Attachments

• 70 High Street Harborne - 2021.JPG
    70 High Street Harborne - 2021.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 15
This is 1758 - 1760 Pershore road from 1968 , note the tropical fish supplies next to the fish and chip shop :joy:. Some nice ridge tiles, some nice carving above the quartered sash windows and the bracket for a hanging sign
Their chips were nice.

This 71 Anderton Road in 1974, love the sign for Stratford House and Mrs Griffin and her " requisites", see the arched windows down the side and the leaded glass windows upstairs. See also the attic window and the ornamental brickwork around the eaves. Hve you also seen all that Corona pop sitting in the sun !!
How times have changed no roller shutters with graffiti.

This one is a bit different to what we are used to 85 Lichfield Road Four Oaks in 1981, tatty and rundown but outbuildings at the rear - stables?, bit different today where the houses are going for approaching 7 figuresView attachment 152858
I look at that building and think of who built and lived in it.
Property developers look and think how many flats can I squeeze into it.

This is Washwood Heath Bus garage from 1980, a selection of busses scattered around, and the old garage itself, on the left is the sign for "AND" , there is also a lampost with almost a spire and a nice selection of vehicles - I thing we spoil our car spotters at times.

View attachment 154698
Remember it so well. Thank you.
This is Washwood Heath Bus garage from 1980, a selection of busses scattered around, and the old garage itself, on the left is the sign for "AND" , there is also a lampost with almost a spire and a nice selection of vehicles - I thing we spoil our car spotters at times.

View attachment 154698

Not been down that way for a few years. Aunts and Uncles all gone now and cousins moved further afield. Thank you for photo but .......#830

Last edited:
Firstly a couple for jimbo - hope they are close enough to you !!
18 High Street Harborne 1965
From left to right , leg of dog, Smoke room of the pub - imagine, sign for the gents, Moggie, scooter, nice shaped frontages, sign on side of building, lamppost and Shell garage

View attachment 154696
The Green Man pub, not one that I liked, much preferred the one opposite The Plough. I was a member of the Shooting Club in the late 60s.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this photo. I now remember how New Meeting Street used to look from this angle. All I have to do now is try and remember the name of the “beatnik” cafe I frequented in 1966. Much appreciated. Regards,
Spent my first weeks wages on a pair shoes from that Stylo's. I worked in Albert Street and used to check every morning to make sure the shoes I wanted were still in the window.

We now move on 15 years, 70 High Street Harborne 1980, first we have Bejam remember them? Building with the turret and the back of a Fleetliner bus. Next is a building with the shaped front - church hall? and a garage which would sort of fit with the previous picture - someone will tell you.

View attachment 154697
This seems back to front as Tonks was on the right hand side going towards the Green Man

View attachment 154697

Last edited:
130 Wattville Road 1974, not sure of the sign for this property I cannot see much evidence of torches batteries ior toys and there are a set of scales inside. The blind looks a little worse for wear also. Looking next door we have the butchers no doubt with sawdust on the floor was never sure why as a child, still not sure now. A quick mention also for the Hillman Hunter.

View attachment 154258
Doesn't that sign, in the right hand window say "Flowers for all occassions"?

Back