• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

The tower block in question (ref my post #720) might have been 'Normansell Tower' completed 1972 and demolished 2012

Looking at Steve's photo in post#700 .... my thoughts on it's location.
We are looking for a railway on an embankment near a motorway which has a big buttress attached to it
View attachment 154313

Using Google Earth a location can be found showing a railway near a motorway. It also shows a big buttress and I've only found one of these on the Midland Motorways. The view is southwards looking across the A38(M). However, a tower block is missing!
View attachment 154314

The aerial view below looks 1960s and my large arrow starts where I think the camera was and my small arrow points at a water tower the other side of old factory buildings. Five nearby tower blocks in this view and I remember the dark coloured ones near the lake in the late 1950s. I don't know the date of their demolition ... maybe the taller one behind them was demolished later.
Edit addition the tower block in question was probably 'Normansell Tower' completed 1972 and demolished 2012
View attachment 154315

Old factories and a water tower
View attachment 154316

Map published 1919 showing a tank.

6FB6099C-47EC-4A45-B8DB-57182CF88E1A.jpeg

Evening all, a bit different tonight.
Old but still there to gone altogether, help needed to work out where and what the last one is
First up good old Villa Park looking a bit different with the Granada Bingo, looks like the players have started to arrive;)
On the right hand building, I am pretty sure we used to go ten-pin bowling. Can anyone confirm, and perhaps have a picture. TIA.

Ref photo number 700, I cannot recall the name but I think the block of flats were the one on the corner of Aston Hall Road and Waterworks Street .....

Looking at Mike's post#708 ... he found the location with a map ... and in my post#720 I confirmed it with pictures ... :)

Looking at Steve's photo in post#700 .... my thoughts on it's location.
We are looking for a railway on an embankment near a motorway which has a big buttress attached to it
View attachment 154313

Using Google Earth a location can be found showing a railway near a motorway. It also shows a big buttress and I've only found one of these on the Midland Motorways. The view is southwards looking across the A38(M). However, a tower block is missing!
View attachment 154314

The aerial view below looks 1960s and my large arrow starts where I think the camera was and my small arrow points at a water tower the other side of old factory buildings. Five nearby tower blocks in this view and I remember the dark coloured ones near the lake in the late 1950s. I don't know the date of their demolition ... maybe the taller one behind them was demolished later.
Edit addition the tower block in question was probably 'Normansell Tower' completed 1972 and demolished 2012
View attachment 154315

Old factories and a water tower
View attachment 154316
The four tower blocks in a line were, from R to L: Boulton Point, James Watt Point, Murdock Point and Priestley Point. They were built (to a very high standard) between 1952-56, to the design of one A.G. Shepperd Fidler, city architect. I believe (although I'm not certain) that the estate as a whole was numbered as 226 Aston Hall Road. The estate was demolished in or around August 2001.

Attachments

• 2001 Priestley Point, Aston Reservoir Estate, Aston Hall Road, Aston.jpg
    2001 Priestley Point, Aston Reservoir Estate, Aston Hall Road, Aston.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2001 Aston Reservoir Estate, Aston Hall Road, Aston, awaiting demolition.jpg
    2001 Aston Reservoir Estate, Aston Hall Road, Aston, awaiting demolition.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the hint Steve but had a nightmare. The building on the left is Birmingham college of Food which is now University College Birmingham so have done a shot with Lionel Street and UCB on the left - about the best I can do. Most of the buildings no longer seem to exist and Summer Row is pedestrianised now.
Where has the College of Food , and The Shakespeare pub gone . It's a flaming travesty the way concrete by the ton is just being dumped upon the landscape

I do hope so. I spent many happy hours in there when I was a student at the college in the late 60s
Streetview Oct 2020. UCB (formerly College of Food) on the right.

Attachments

• Shakespeare.JPG
    Shakespeare.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Kingstanding posting today , a bit of history - taken from discussion with parents who knew those who were involved with those in the start of the church and attended from its opening
For those who live in Kingstanding you will know of John Bunyan Baptist Church with the blue cross on the front over Bandywood Hill from Kingstanding Circle, a bit of history.
In the Boys brigade post there is mention of the 1st A group based at Peoples Chapel in Hockley, members of this church led by Sir Donald Finnemore felt a new church should be built in Kingstanding - the group met at a school in Kingsland Road School while fundraising gathered funds for the church to be built. ( Buy a brick etc)
Once the move started a new Boys Brigade the 11th Company was created along with the Girls Brigade, these photos show this .

John Bunyan build 1.jpg
Vacant land at Lambeth Road and Brockwell Road showing the initial construction of the church
All photos and copyright Mr W Lerwill.
Anything you feel is incorrect please contact me via conversation so I may edit if necessary. ( apologies for E&O )

Attachments

• John Bunyan build 1.jpg
    John Bunyan build 1.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
and was soon complete - the church was opened in 1963

John Bunyan build 3.jpg

There are pictures of the opening at the following forum
https://kingstanding.wordpress.com/memories/ammenaties/churches/john-bunyan-baptish-church/
and of the history of church
I also have pictures but as they show too many people I felt it better to post the link.

Last edited:

1937/8 Morris Eight Series 2, pierced steel wheels, not wires as on earlier cars.

1953+ Vauxhall, Velox I think. Cresta would’ve had spats over the back wheels, Wyvern was plainer.

Last edited:
Finally a view of a parade outside the front of the church showing a fine selection of shops across the road

View attachment 154452
Great photos of the Boys Brigade. Although my husband was born in Kingstanding, when he was older he moved to Perry Beeches. It’s there that he joined the Boys Brigade at the Methodist church, Thornbidge Avenue. Regards,

Last edited:
Bits and pieces day today - If like me you have been looking at Tates Photos on Made in Brum - Old Photos you will have seen #5776 - Compare that view with this one taken on the corner of Bulls Street and dale End in 1970, lot of building work and temporary wires going everywhere.Bull Street Dale End -70.jpg

Back