• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Finally Ashted Row1980, large industrial complex with angled building on the right and various additions can someone offer what it used to be, which company and can you point out where it is today please

luckily no one spotted I got carried away with the words and forgot to attach the pictures - never mind

thankyou
Wonderful - great job done by our two time travellers, Steve and Janice ! The then and now images are giving us so much interesting (and new) material. The thread is a joy to browse. Thank you both. Viv.
Well said Viv. It has been a pleasure visiting this thread. (I love them all mind and still so much to catch up on) So many memories for me. I am very grateful. Thank you .

Wonderful - great job done by our two time travellers, Steve and Janice ! The then and now images are giving us so much interesting (and new) material. The thread is a joy to browse. Thank you both. Viv.
i agree viv a great addition to this forum from our intrepid duo with added comments from other members :)

lyn

could i just say that as always this forum is always happy to share our photos and i am sure that steve feels the same way as he is sharing these never been seen before photos with us..steve holds the copyright to all of the photos he is posting ...as most of us know our photos are very often saved by members and posted all over the net...not a problem ...neither steve or this forum puts watermarks through the photos so as we always ask when a new batch of photos come along if you are going to post steves photos elsewhere on the net could you please credit (SteveBhx birmingham history forum....)

i hasten to add that steve has not asked me to post this message as said its just something this forum asks our members to do out of common courtesy..

thanks folks

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments - I have only scanned a small portion of the pictures to gauge reaction - thanks for that reaction. I have many others sorted into themes, shops, factories hotels etc, and it is only when you review them that you see how much is lost considering the majority were taken in the 1970's which I don't consider that long ago.
I will yet again add thanks to Janice for adding an extra dimension to the pictures - a hard task as I have tried on occasion to find a property and had to travel up and down a road and change years on the street view.
Thank you for the pleasure the photos have given to all who viewed them, cant wait for "follow up" themes.

Well after all that praise - Thankyou - I thought I should post some more pictures, this is 8 Edwards Road Erdington in 1976, bit of everything here, painted wall sign, lampost with litter bin, prefab garage with asbestos roof!!, and cobbles for the driveway. and cars back to front Vauxhall Viva , Austin Maxi, Hillman Imp and I would say Fiat? for the rear light on the white car.

8 Edwards Road - Erdington - 76.jpg

My information says this is 11 -17 Summer Row in 1975, there seems to have been a lot of infill here, looking to the left just off picture is Lionel Street if you go down there and first right you find some buildings similar to these!!
Hope that helps Janice, apart from that what outsiders would see as a classic Birmingham view, very 70's.

11- 17 Summer Row - 75.jpg

Here is Vesey Street in 1982, seems we were a bit too late here, the background gives some idea to what was there and the holes for the beams and the wall lines gives an idea how the layout was, but like a lot of places slowly becoming car parks. Its a shame as the building on the right has nice window arches and brickwork.

Vesey Street - 82.jpg

Finally Aston Expressway in 1977, but I am struggling to locate the picture, on the original there is a block of flats behind the motorway gantry which puts us looking south eastish as this is the only position you can look over the railway to the expressway - anyway I am sure it has all long gone - have a good weekend

Aston towrds expressway - 77.jpg

Well after all that praise - Thankyou - I thought I should post some more pictures, this is 8 Edwards Road Erdington in 1976, bit of everything here, painted wall sign, lampost with litter bin, prefab garage with asbestos roof!!, and cobbles for the driveway. and cars back to front Vauxhall Viva , Austin Maxi, Hillman Imp and I would say Fiat? for the rear light on the white car.

View attachment 154289

Attachments

• 8 Edwards Road - Erdington - 2021.JPG
    8 Edwards Road - Erdington - 2021.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 16
Finally Aston Expressway in 1977, but I am struggling to locate the picture, on the original there is a block of flats behind the motorway gantry which puts us looking south eastish as this is the only position you can look over the railway to the expressway - anyway I am sure it has all long gone - have a good weekend

View attachment 154295

The tank in the picture could be associated with the Aston Wells Pumping Station ??

226 Soho Hill in 1979 seems a lot quieter than today , but still an nice selection of vehicles. Factory with metal window frames to the right, and a Golden Virginia sign outside the shop.

View attachment 154290
Factory building is still there but ground floor occupied by several outlets - ex catalogue furniture, a bed/curtains and blinds place but the top two floors are all broken windows and look derelict.

Attachments

• 226 Soho Hill-2021.JPG
    226 Soho Hill-2021.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 12
Factory building is still there but ground floor occupied by several outlets - ex catalogue furniture, a bed/curtains and blinds place but the top two floors are all broken windows and look derelict.
jan i think its on the cards for demo and some sort of new development on the way..no idea when though

lyn

View attachment 154295
The tank in the picture could be associated with the Aston Wells Pumping Station ?

My information says this is 11 -17 Summer Row in 1975, there seems to have been a lot of infill here, looking to the left just off picture is Lionel Street if you go down there and first right you find some buildings similar to these!!
Hope that helps Janice, apart from that what outsiders would see as a classic Birmingham view, very 70's.

View attachment 154291
Thanks for the hint Steve but had a nightmare. The building on the left is Birmingham college of Food which is now University College Birmingham so have done a shot with Lionel Street and UCB on the left - about the best I can do. Most of the buildings no longer seem to exist and Summer Row is pedestrianised now.

Attachments

• 11- 17 Summer Row - 2021.JPG
    11- 17 Summer Row - 2021.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 11- 17 Summer Row - map.JPG
    11- 17 Summer Row - map.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
Here is Vesey Street in 1982, seems we were a bit too late here, the background gives some idea to what was there and the holes for the beams and the wall lines gives an idea how the layout was, but like a lot of places slowly becoming car parks. Its a shame as the building on the right has nice window arches and brickwork.

View attachment 154292
Vesey Street in Aug 2020 was a building site and it is not possible to travel down it on Streetview.

Attachments

• Vesey Street - 2020.JPG
    Vesey Street - 2020.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 7

View attachment 154295
Sorry folks not going to attempt this as it was obviously a roof top shot which I can't do via Streetview.

I am thinking we on one of the building on Electric Avenue. It looks like Barry Jackson tower Aston in the distance. I recognise the concrete feature on the motorway

I am thinking we on one of the building on Electric Avenue. It looks like Barry Jackson tower Aston in the distance. I recognise the concrete feature on the motorway
I tried Electric Avenue but views were not clear.
1615593596166.png

Last edited:
Dennison Watch Case Co behind the vans - my first job.
I have an 'Omega' watch. The watch was issued to army personnel in world war two. The back of the watches were stamped with the 'WD' mark. At the end of hostilities the 'Omega' watches were given new plain backs made by Dennison. Many of the watches were then purchased by British Airways (B.O.A.C) for use by pilots.

Looking at Steve's photo in post#700 .... my thoughts on it's location.
We are looking for a railway on an embankment near a motorway which has a big buttress attached to it
A38m.jpg

Using Google Earth a location can be found showing a railway near a motorway. It also shows a big buttress and I've only found one of these on the Midland Motorways. The view is southwards looking across the A38(M). However, a tower block is missing!
A38m_now.jpg

The aerial view below looks 1960s and my large arrow starts where I think the camera was and my small arrow points at a water tower the other side of old factory buildings. Five nearby tower blocks in this view and I remember the dark coloured ones near the lake in the late 1950s. I don't know the date of their demolition ... maybe the taller one behind them was demolished later.
Edit addition the tower block in question was probably 'Normansell Tower' completed 1972 and demolished 2012
Aston,_Birmingham_1990s.jpg

Old factories and a water tower
oldfactorywatertower.jpg

Last edited:
Back