• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Apologies for the pen marks - I am really sure that a few hording will make a difference here. Navigation Street 1980.
So much to look at the car names - authorised Agents, the arched windows, brickwork, the concert posters and a ticket for Kiss at Bingley Hall Stafford - £4.75.

View attachment 153653
Was the Pool Club, on the left, in an earlier life a dance studio, the name Laura Dixon comes to mind.

101 Walford Road - 1974 have a nagging doubt I have posted this before I am sure you will tell me.
Note how the guttering comes down to join the main guttering above the windows, sash windows everywhere, old street light. You can just make out lamps above the window on the left
101 Walford Road - 74.jpg

140 Mansel Road 1973 Basi Brothers, love the width of that car, green shield stamp adverts and the sweet display in the window and the Bournville Cocoa sign over the door. There is a previous sign for groceries and provisions above the window. There is also some nice brickwork above windows and below the eaves140 Mansel Road - 73.jpg

Last edited:
140 Mansel Road 1973 Basi Brothers, love the width of that car, green shield stamp adverts and the sweet display in the window and the Bournville Cocoa sign over the door. There is a previous sign for groceries and provisions above the window. There is alos some nice brickwork above windows and below eavesView attachment 153871

And the self service store almost 50 years later !

Pic #525

1965 Mk X Jaguar and a lhd VW 1500 estate. The 420G was 1966.

At one time my boss had a white 420G which I used to drive while on trips out. I got a couple of good remarks from people, back in the days of pump jockeys, “switch her off mate, she’s gaining on me”, and at the back entrance to the London office the gateman looked at it and said “we don’t let minicabs in”.

Last edited:
140 Mansel Road 1973 Basi Brothers, love the width of that car, green shield stamp adverts and the sweet display in the window and the Bournville Cocoa sign over the door. There is a previous sign for groceries and provisions above the window. There is also some nice brickwork above windows and below the eavesView attachment 153871
i thought the wide care was a jag steve but not certain

lyn

101 Walford Road - 1974 have a nagging doubt I have posted this before I am sure you will tell me.
Note how the guttering comes down to join the main guttering above the windows, sash windows everywhere, old street light. You can just make out lamps above the window on the left
View attachment 153869
We have had 99 and 100 but I don't think we had 101.
Nice Twinings sign visible here.

Attachments

• 101 Walford Road - 2021.JPG
    101 Walford Road - 2021.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 19
171 Walford Road 1974, nice old Rover outside, Like the clock above the door and the shape of the corner also the Corona pop advert in the window.View attachment 153870
This corner seems to be 169 not 171 but the orientation is right. In the second photo the premises on the left have the number 171 above the door.

Attachments

• 171 Walford Road - 2021.JPG
    171 Walford Road - 2021.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 169 171 Walford Road - 2021.JPG
    169 171 Walford Road - 2021.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 18
140 Mansel Road 1973 Basi Brothers, love the width of that car, green shield stamp adverts and the sweet display in the window and the Bournville Cocoa sign over the door. There is a previous sign for groceries and provisions above the window. There is also some nice brickwork above windows and below the eavesView attachment 153871
I had to resort to maps to identify this as it is not the corner of a road just the corner at the end of a block of houses. No longer there.

Attachments

• 140 Mansel Road - 2021.JPG
    140 Mansel Road - 2021.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 13
Back