• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

The Burton’s shop was not typical of their earlier shops. The earlier shops were purpose built in Art Deco style, had billiards rooms above and had plaques set into the frontage (below the windows) naming family members. But the premises in #449 is a Victorian building with several previous tenants.

Viv.

Well this was taken just before it all changed around here, Lancaster Street 1968. Building on the left was a warehouse, now the council offices - spent many years working here. A close look needs to be made of all the different cars and vans, the Mace delivery lorry advertising Golden Stream Tea and the wooden barriers and gas lamps, can you imagine two way traffic these days.
View attachment 153654
Ford Corsair parked on the front of 'Brown, Hopwood and Gilbert'.

Susan,

In response to your question in post #448, In 2000, C&A announced its intention to withdraw from the British market, where it had been operating since 1922, and the last UK retail stores closed in 2001. Primark bought 11 of the C&A stores. And this was years before the Brexit referendum, but they were facing severe competition from chains like H & M, Zara, etc.

Maurice :cool:

Susan,

In response to your question in post #448, In 2000, C&A announced its intention to withdraw from the British market, where it had been operating since 1922, and the last UK retail stores closed in 2001. Primark bought 11 of the C&A stores. And this was years before the Brexit referendum, but they were facing severe competition from chains like H & M, Zara, etc.

Maurice :cool:
Hi Maurice, Thank you for the informative reply. You could buy nice things from C&A. I Remember my new red coat with the fur trim one Christmas. My sister had one the same, she hated it. Regards Sue

Ciro of Bond Street and J Marks Furriers, and the entrance to Princes Chambers, note the ornamental entrance and I imagine gold lettering on the windows on the first floor. Went in there once there was the old - to me, iron work lift that you opened and closed the doors yourself and could see out of.

View attachment 153697

Attachments

• J Marks - 2021.JPG
    J Marks - 2021.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 15
I ran a series of Austin Westminsters and Wolseley 6/110s, first was a black over red two-tone then a beige then a white one that got me stopped several times by the cops 'just for a chat, we had these in the force.' followed that with a two-tone rose taupe and beige Wolseley and finally a blue Austin 3 litre.

I haven't posted a "now" shot as the building on Streetview are either obscured by a metro tram or on older shots by buses.
Thanks for pics Janice. So missing Birmingham. Haven’t been ‘uptown’ for months.. .. Although, after living in Staffordshire for fifty years uptown has very, vey slowly changed to ‘into town’. Kind regards, Sue

I ran a series of Austin Westminsters and Wolseley 6/110s, first was a black over red two-tone then a beige then a white one that got me stopped several times by the cops 'just for a chat, we had these in the force.' followed that with a two-tone rose taupe and beige Wolseley and finally a blue Austin 3 litre.

Same location but looking up the road, nothing much to see apart from the van and the Ford Cortina, Vauxhall Victor etc.View attachment 153695
What's amazing is that parking was possible in Central Birmingham in the early 1970s.

I also remember seeing a video on YouTube about the opening of the Bull Ring in the early 1960s in which someone would park your car for you. A very different age in which so much of the old city was swept away.

Incidentally, seeing the A40 van reminds me that we had one just like that. No windows in the back made long journeys a strange experience for kids as could see where you were going and where you'd been!

Steve,
If that photo was taken after august 1968 , then I might have been in my flatwhich was in the house to the left of the statiion (you can just see part of the front gate). One of the CID once showed me how to break into my car with a thin piece of metal down the side of the window when Iocked myself out of it with the engine running in the snow !

Thanks for pics Janice. So missing Birmingham. Haven’t been ‘uptown’ for months.. .. Although, after living in Staffordshire for fifty years uptown has very, vey slowly changed to ‘into town’. Kind regards, Sue
The pics are down to Steve - all I do is find the site on google streetview.

Steve,
If that photo was taken after august 1968 , then I might have been in my flatwhich was in the house to the left of the statiion (you can just see part of the front gate). One of the CID once showed me how to break into my car with a thin piece of metal down the side of the window when Iocked myself out of it with the engine running in the snow !
ooh so close to getting you caught on camera mike :D

The police car is quite clearly an A60 Cambridge from 1966, and the car further down the road is an A50 Cambridge, 1954 -56. As far as I can see, every single car on the other side is British built, that state of affairs was not to last much longer, even in Longbridge.

This is Pershore Road in 1972 - sorry I cannot help with the corner of road. Bit of something for everyone, shops with ornamental coping and chimney cowls, ghost sign of a Tailor on the front, telephone pole with spike on the top, Bedford Van in front of the hardware store and another Ford Cortina behind it. If you look closely on the extreme right there is a small child sat on the pavement ( behind the lady with the shopping bab)Pershore Road Stirchley - 72 (2).jpg

Back