• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

140 Mansel Road 1973 Basi Brothers, love the width of that car, green shield stamp adverts and the sweet display in the window and the Bournville Cocoa sign over the door. There is a previous sign for groceries and provisions above the window. There is also some nice brickwork above windows and below the eavesView attachment 153871
I like the Jaguar Mk 10. They were as big as a dance hall in the back.
The Volkswagen 'Type 3' is a car I've not seen for along time. Some of those had a heater that worked independently of the car itself. Petrol was injected into a chamber under the car, ignited and then the heat was blown around the car interior. Dangerous or what?

Heaters of that type were built by a firm called Eberspacher, some military armoured vehicles were fitted with a diesel powered version iirc, perhaps a bit safer, but maybe a bit pungent.

Post 171 shows a fish and chip shop, in the window there's a reflection of another fish and chip shop.
Competition must have been fierce.

Post 171 shows a fish and chip shop, in the window there's a reflection of another fish and chip shop.
Competition must have been fierce.
This note on the reflection is actually referring to post #524
171 Walford Road (actually 169 Walford Road according to front door.) ;)

John - #543. Eberspacher supply diesel fired heaters to the RV industry in Aus. & they dont smell. Their advertising blurb shows narrow boats & I dont think we have those Downunder!!
John

This note on the reflection is actually referring to post #524
171 Walford Road (actually 169 Walford Road according to front door.) ;)
Looking more closely at this excellent photograph there appears to be no shops opposite (across the road) nearest shops appear to be 146 & 180
and wouldn't the Fish & Chips reflection be in reverse if from a shop opposite? Could it be an advertisement inside the shop & perhaps also reflection from a house?

169-walford-plus-map.JPG

91 Ninevah Road in 1975, travel services on the corner, Fish and Chip shop sign down the road and the newsagent with newspapers outside, Walls ice cream litter bin and one of those bubble gum machines. Funny to think that the child would be around 50 - doesn't time fly.
91 Ninevah Road -75.jpg

98 Walford Road - 1974, like the KLG plugs clock, and the sash windows and brickwork round the windows and eaves. Now the two cars first I believe is a Lancia, and the second I am open to suggestions. Between the lampost and the window is a sign - any offers, to the left of the hydrant mark.

98 Walford Road - 74.jpg

Back