• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Thought I would upload a few shops as we have not had some for a while - this is 105 -107 Bordesley Green, George Mason has just closed down - Green Shield signs still in the window but the rest of the road looks busy, Next door has a fine selection of Corona pop on the shelves and next to that the windows are stacked with goods.

View attachment 162537
The wall with the advert on now seems to have graffitti on it. Shop fronts have changed but I think the buildings are still the same.

Attachments

• 107 -105Bordesley Green - 2021.JPG
    107 -105Bordesley Green - 2021.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 21
Now I am not sure which is the best bit in this picture - the WMPTE lorry, the advert for the Silver cross luxury baby coach or the workmen studying the shop window. You don't see windows like that anymore prams pushchairs rocking horse and toys!! Sorry this is 298 Stratford Road in 1973. I like the way the guttering crosses all the attic windows and the little bays at the first floor

View attachment 162539
Dyson Richards is now the Caspian Pizza and Roadleys has become the Masaka Food Store. The bay windows have gone but their outline remains with new brickwork.

Attachments

• 296 -298 Stratford Road -2021.JPG
    296 -298 Stratford Road -2021.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
Next we have 313 Coventry Road in 1968, can you imagine a players advert like that today - no health warning and the virtues of the outdoor life. The Old gate with its own Outdoor - My Cellar, inn the classic Ansells colours, then a Gas Board shop something else which has gone, and the usual array of high street shops with no famous names to see just the places you went when you needed something new. Can I also point out that the chimneys are either side of the roof ridge rather than sitting in the middle.
View attachment 162540
The old shops have gone - replaced by a car park. 311 is Carpet World and I think it is the building we can see on the rhs of the above photo - windows seem to match.

Attachments

• 313 Coventry Road - 2021.JPG
    313 Coventry Road - 2021.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 24
Thought I would upload a few shops as we have not had some for a while - this is 105 -107 Bordesley Green, George Mason has just closed down - Green Shield signs still in the window but the rest of the road looks busy, Next door has a fine selection of Corona pop on the shelves and next to that the windows are stacked with goods.

View attachment 162537
This view of the open fronted shop looks something like the shop my mother worked at when I was a child. If so it would have then belonged to Fred Corbett and is just beyond the junction with Victoria St. It was a greengrocers, fish and poultry shop in 50’s

This view of the open fronted shop looks something like the shop my mother worked at when I was a child. If so it would have then belonged to Fred Corbett and is just beyond the junction with Victoria St. It was a greengrocers, fish and poultry shop in 50’s
1958 phone book
1634556350210.png
Spot on with your memory.

You know I like to offer little tests well here is todays

Arthur Black ( General Smith) to the side of a church and a cobbled path to the yard at the side. Best I can offer is an Edgbaston telephone number - we presume that is Arthur hard at work inside.
Over to you!
View attachment 162533
Not much left on that side of the street.

Attachments

• Steward street 2021.JPG
    Steward street 2021.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 17
Strangely smaller than my childhood memory would have me believe. Tinpot
I always think places that loomed large in childhood seem smaller when we revisit as an adult. At my school the ground floor had one very long, wide and large corridor - or so I thought. I had reason to visit as a teacher several years later and was amazed by how narrow and short it seemed.

next is 2-4 Watford Road in 1976, a selection of shops who's names are no longer there - when did you see a wallpaper shop outside a DIY store and International supermarket. Note that the newsagents have a sale with 25p off 200 cigarettes and a board to put your postcards with adverts on. Mention also for the Vauxhall Victor

View attachment 156965
This brings back memories for me. I was a paperboy for NSS from 1970-1972 servicing Middleton Hall Rd and roads off it.

Evening back again with another selection.
Here is a view of New Street station in the process of redevelopment, station level has been built now the shops and offices are under construction. Note bottom right the north point just above the bridge link and at the top right the piece of open land in the process of becoming redeveloped and the top end of New Street before it was redeveloped.

Test208 1.jpg

Next is an interesting view of the market, with bags of onions, crates of vegetables, barrows and various characters standing around, love the signs on the walls, but if you look to the right there is a lady with a blue hat, which makes you wonder what she was doing there, purchasing vegetables?

Test215 1.jpg

This is taken at the construction of the Aston Expressway with the cross City line heading towards Erdington and the River Tame underneath it all. Amazing to see the crane constructing the pillars in the canal with the metal girders seemingly scattered around with a lack of any barriers or people actually. I am thinking around Electric Avenue?

Test230.jpg

This is one of the iconic adverts on the side of the office block by the Bull Ring, another was the beer glass which filled (or have I imagined this) . Presumably quite difficult in its time - today it would be a TV screen with actual pictures !!
Forerunner of Schh you know who - you have to be a certain age.

Test303 1.jpg

Next is an interesting view of the market, with bags of onions, crates of vegetables, barrows and various characters standing around, love the signs on the walls, but if you look to the right there is a lady with a blue hat, which makes you wonder what she was doing there, purchasing vegetables?

View attachment 163252
This would have been then 1970s markets, as too clean and modern to be earlier one

Last up tonight - not one of the sharpest images but quite old and I feel will bring back memories for some - not that its a pub, if I have the location correct - now I think this is Alma Street Newtown - am I right ? and I think the pub is the Royal Exchange, this is all taken from the picture not googled hence where you all come in!
If the location is correct I know many of you enjoy this area - if not I have made a fool of myself but you will enjoy correcting me ( thats sounds like you enjoy doing that which is not what I meant) and adding to the history of the image.
Not sure of the gent in the road - I would hate for someone to recognise him, the large lamp on the pub corner and the ornamental street lamp and the rear entry bus.

Test321 1.jpg

Last up tonight - not one of the sharpest images but quite old and I feel will bring back memories for some - not that its a pub, if I have the location correct - now I think this is Alma Street Newtown - am I right ? and I think the pub is the Royal Exchange, this is all taken from the picture not googled hence where you all come in!
If the location is correct I know many of you enjoy this area - if not I have made a fool of myself but you will enjoy correcting me ( thats sounds like you enjoy doing that which is not what I meant) and adding to the history of the image.
Not sure of the gent in the road - I would hate for someone to recognise him, the large lamp on the pub corner and the ornamental street lamp and the rear entry bus.

View attachment 163255
Just noticed, is that a gents on the right with a large lamp over it ?

Back