• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham/Dudley Zoo Photographs

1963ADRIAN

proper brummie kid
I am in the middle of a very large project and would like help if you have any old photographs of either Birmingham or Duldey zoo I would like to see them
Any help would be brilliant thank you

Adrian

I don't know if these would be any good to you, one is a very early photo of the main gates at Dudley Zoo the other two look to be late 50's early 60's and are of one of the Elephants giving rides and the other is of the Lion's enclosure.

Phil

DudleyZooMainGate.jpg
DudleyZooLionEnclosure.jpg

DudleyZooElephant.jpg

Many thanks for these, they show early zoo days at Dudley thy are great
I hope threr are more of this type of photographs out there as they really open your eyes as to what the zoo's used to be like.

I am in the middle of a very large project and would like help if you have any old photographs of either Birmingham or Duldey zoo I would like to see them
This sounds exciting - what is the large project you are working on?
Polly :)

The projects I ma doing at the moment are to find out as much information on the species
kept at our local zoo's from the day that they opened.
i'm also trying to get an image of how the zoo's used to look that were the photographs come in.
At the moment I have a very large list of species held at Dudley Zoo / West Midlands Safari Park / Twycross Zoo /
Hagley Falconary Centre & Birmingham Nature Centre.
At the moment I know there are still lots of species missing from these list's and I'm short of information on the
buildings and enclosures that the animals used to be kept in.
Photographs would be a great help to me as they show how the zoo's used to look
so any help would be great

What do you call old? What years are you interested in?
Polly

Possibly not quite what you're looking for, but here's one of myself and my brother at Dudley Zoo in 1948.

Maurice :cool:

Hi 1963adrian
yes i would imagine they do change from year to year
i would be very surprized if the old elephant and the camel that gave us a
ride just up behind the front gates is still there
and that was in the fortys and auntie maud took us to the old dudleyu zoo
and we travelled from aston cross to spring hill and then what was the old midland bus that came down from the city through spring hill and up to dudley zoo
which was then the number was the b 87 bus passing the old red cow ,pub ;
ah ; does anybody remember that pub ,-- you pub crawlers
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;

Sospiri thats great to see a picture from a few years ago and then to have a thumbnail of you in the corner that
made the photograph much more interesting thank you.
Astonian unfortunatly both the camel and elephants are no longrer at the zoo, the last 2 elephants moved to a zoo in France
Port St Pere in 2003 this was due to Dudley feeling that there enclosure was to small for them and the zoo made it policy to
no longer keep elephants as it doesn't have the ground or finances to keep them in a enviroment that would do them justice.
Flossie was born 1967 and flora was born 1986 unfortunatly Flossie died in 2004 but good old flora is still alive today and doing fine
They also no longer keep camels in the zoo unsure of the reason.

Please keep the information coming as every little bit helps
many thanks
Wendy thats an old photograph but very interesting many thanks

Lencops many thanks for the link will try to use the information I can gain from this as well
Aiden great photographs I love recieving photographs that relate to the people who them to me
that's a great photograph with the bears
many thanks again
please keep the information coming every bit helps

These photos wers taken in the early 80's - don't know if they are what you are looking for. I don't think my camera was that brilliant then but they are not too bad.
Polly :)

Back