• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old birmingham car dealer, evans and kitchen

rich1234

Brummie babby
Hi
im trying to find some info on an old 60s and 70s car dealer from the birmingham area, namley EVANS AND KITCHEN LTD , ive found very little online but wondered if anyone has any old magazines or papers that may have adverts etc for the company , i have a 73 mg midget and it was originaly sold through them

cheers all

I think I am correct in saying that the company Started as H J Evans then along came Kitchen and this then became 'Evans Halshaw'. They swallowed up Archers of Solihull many years ago. I am pretty sure there is information on the forum somewhere but not able to pinpoint it as yet.

hi bernie , thanks for the reply, i believe it was R.J EVANS AND KITCHEN , ive contacted evans halshaw but as of yet no luck, i have found 2 pics of the company dating to the late 60s but apart from that there is nothing
!07 Horse Fair Looking down towards Bristol Street 1950s.jpgEvansk3.jpg

As well as the Horse Fair premises in the photo they also had premises at 89-93 Hurst Street in the 50's.

Phil

Later in the 60's they also had premises in Bromsgove Street.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bromsgrove St 1958.jpg
    City Bromsgrove St 1958.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 159
My husband owned a second hand Austin Cambridge once owned by Mrs Kitchen. It had a bench seat which was split. The drivers seat was leather.

I used to work as a car valeter for Evans & Kitchen in the 60s. They had a work shop in
Bromsgrove st, where cars were cleaned. That photo brings back memories. Thanks for posting phil.

regards Stars

Phil the date may be wrong, there is a mini in the photo i think they wasnt introduced untill 1959. But there again-----.

Robert

The actual date of the photo is 1958, at least that is what it is tagged as, I wasn't dating the photo I was just stating that in the 60's they had premises in Bromsgrove Street. In reality I have no idea when they first opened the garage there. If the photo is dated 1958 the garage looks pretty well established they could have been there years previous to that.

Phil

brilliant pictures - I always love it when pictures bring back memories for the forum members. I can't believe how steep that ramp is - was it just used to get cars on the roof for advertising or was it there for a different reason? I wouldn't like to drive on it - up or down!

evans and kitchen used to have a commercial vehicle garage in oxford street in digbeth then they moved to shefford street aston they had various departments around essex street/ bromsgrove street and i think gooch street as you can see they were mainly centre of brum
phil

I worked in the car radio shop of evans and kitchen in the 70s in bromsgrove street.the workshop was in hurst street and the spares department was in inge street.I think the showroom was in bristol street.

I knew the Kitchen son when I was a teenager in Sutton. The family did very well out of it, the son had a Morgan kit car still in the crates stolen from the garage and it was months before he noticed. He also had a Lamborghini Miura stolen and when he went to report it at Sutton nick they were uninterested until he told them the price and that there were only 3 in the country. He pointed out that if they saw one chances were it was his! Eventually Daddy got tired of sons wayward ways with cars and son had to buy his own. He bought an E type only to find whilst driving along Lichfield Road in Sutton that it was a cut and shut. He knew this as being able to see more and more of the road between your feet was not a particular feature of the model. Oh happy days!

To try to set the record straight, the closest I ever got to a Lamborghini Miura was whilst in the cinema watching The Italian Job! My father would occasionally loan me a recently traded-in car for me to use - and clean - but they would have been 1100s or Minis. Whilst I don't think that qualifies me as having been wayward, I do admit to having bought a series 1 E Type in the 90s, and nearly 20 years after E & K merged with Evans Halshaw. It was, however, original and completely solid and, given the recent rise in values, I wish I still owned it. The only Morgan connection I can think of is that a distant cousin, who had nothing to do with E & K, once drove one. Coincidentally, he had a brother who drove an E type in the 1960s.

Thanks for that message to the muddled up history

Do you have any correspondence or anything with the Evans and kitchen logo on , I want to find or get a Evans and kitchen tax disc holder to complete my restoration , car was originally sold by the dealer and trying to bring it back as a show car as new !

Rich

24-02-2013 12;22;30.jpg

I don't have an archive, but I do have a tax disc somewhere. When I find it, I will forward a copy on to you. The design is similar to the attached, but in gold lettering with a black background.

Don't suppose you'd be interested in selling the key gob and tax disc holder would you ! Would love them for my mg !

P.J. EVANS my Dad did a lot of business with them in the 1950s. John Crump OldBrit SNOWY Parker, Colorado USA

Back