• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham addresses

petecollier

When writing addresses for some of the old back-to-back houses and courts, was there a convention as to which number was written first? I have a few that are written as, for example, 3/2. Would that be House 3/Court 2, or Court 3/House 2?

I also have "2 Ct 7" and similar. How can you tell which number is the court, 2 or 7, and which is the house?

Thanks for any help!

You cannot be absolutely sure, though normally I would take 2 ct7 as no 2 court 7, and 3/2 as no 3 court 2. I usually check, where possible, both possibilities .

not sure if this will help as i get confused lol but here is a map of where i was born...on my birth cert it is written 4 back of 12 paddington st but can also be written down as 4/12.. meaning house no 4 which backs onto front house no 12 ...as you can see on the map it was court no 2..all of the back houses had to have a number as did the front...looking at the front houses from left to right which all had little gardens they are numbers 6.8.10.12.14..the back houses to those were from left to right numbers 1.2.3.4 and 5...my house is marked in pink so being 4/12

lyn

Attachments

• paddington_st_c1889_back_12__marked__and_no_5.jpg
    paddington_st_c1889_back_12__marked__and_no_5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I've just found out that my father was born at number 14 back bartholomew row in 1920 and was wondering if anyone's family lived near them I'm realy struggling to trace fathers side of the family

Hi - I lived at 3 back of 6 but when written down it was 3/6 - we did not live in a "court" but the house that was facing the street was number 6 & we lived in the 3rd house behind it. Old BMD certificates can take some sorting out !!!

Hi - I lived at 3 back of 6 but when written down it was 3/6 - we did not live in a "court" but the house that was facing the street was number 6 & we lived in the 3rd house behind it. Old BMD certificates can take some sorting out !!!
Thanks for that my father and mother lived in bartholomew row/street but before then I've found she lived with her parents in back 13 new John west also known as 4 court 1 so l
I'm slowly making progress

yes it abit strange was,nt it our old address 5/92 lichfield road Aston birmingham B6 Warickshire ,
But now we use the district of west midlands plus a series of extra coded numbers at the end of your address
we lived up a terrace called cromwell Square on the old Emunarators rolls of registry of birmingham warickshire
Its a crazy world we are living in now and such a fast pace of living ,what next i asked myself
people say the worlds gone mad ,but it aint the world its the human race man is destroying the world

The same ambiguity occurs with blocks of flats. Is, say 2/3 flat 2 in no.3 or vice versa. When I worked as a despatcher in South West ambulance the safe thing to do was to be precise ie. Flat 2 Block 3 Such and such Rd.

Back