• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Aircraft Over Birmingham May 2013

Sorry, Eric, I misled you and everyone else. Picked the wrong pic. I think now that it is a Lockheed Lodestar, New Zealand Alps, 1949, not a Douglad DC2 or 3. Probably ZK-AOS.

However I DO believe that this one is correct - view out of a DC3, April 1938 over Long Island. I was always led to believe that this was a DC2 - but Google leads me to an accident report for this aircraft which crashed in 1943 killing all 11 on board - https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19431015-0

Sorry, replacing one uninteresting pic with another but we might as well get it right!

Chris

Attachments

• DC2-USALong-Island1938061.jpg
    DC2-USALong-Island1938061.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The aircraft was apparently en-route to Bletchley for a flypast...

Douglas DC3.jpgChrisM, you fooled me OK, it looked like the wing and the rear of the radial engine of a DC3, but it was 60 years ago, perhaps I saw what I wanted to see ??? Eric

I too saw the plane a Douglas Dakota seemed to circle Perry Barr park two or three times, painted on the winds and fuselage where the three stripes used for D Day

I was outside washing my car in Sutton Coldfield and I heard this well before I saw it! What a lovely sound. I hadn't a clue what it was so thank you very much for the information. I love WW2 planes as my Dad worked on Lancaster bombers during the war. Judy

Spitfire and Hurricane (on way to Cosford) flew over the National Memorial Arboretum this lunch time during a dedication to my old squadron. Quite an Honour for us!

PLANE 001.JPGjust heard the rumble rushed out back and just caught it..no idea what plane it is though but my brother is at cosford today..

Flew over us too, think it may have been a Lancaster from the colour scheme, and size, definitely wasn't a Spitfire, can tell them by the engine noise!
Sue

Will phone my neighbor later as he is a mad fanatic on aircraft. He is a radio ham too and you can hear him chatting away sometimes. He lent me his photo's to post but they disappeared when the forum was hacked. Must ask him for them again sometime.

Flew over us too, think it may have been a Lancaster from the colour scheme, and size, definitely wasn't a Spitfire, can tell them by the engine noise!
Sue

hi sue i know nowt about planes but ive been told its not a lancaster because they have vertical tail fins and its not a dakota because they have only 2 props and the one in my pic has four...shame i didnt have time to get a closer shot of it..

lyn

us too Lyn, Owen had his phone but couldn't get it set quick enough as we were walking Kates dog and he had her lead!
Sue

never mind sue..just spoke to our kid..hes still there..said the last planes will be leaving soon so maybe we will get another chance...

Lyn,

It's almost certainly the B-17 Flying Fortress "Sally B" which was due to display at Cosford today. As you say, definitely not the Lancaster.

(Sally B was "Memphis Belle" in the film).

Chris

I just managed to get outside and see it, we were thrilled, just wish we'd got time to get the camera, lovely sight though!!

oh thats great chris...im sure ive seen that film some years back now..

thank you..

Last edited:
It was a B17 that flew down from Cosford over Aldridge & Sutton before going back to Duxford Cambridgeshire, it was refused a low fly down the runway at Birmingham as was the Vulcan Bomber, I don't think there are now any flying DC3s at Coventry so this one probably came from South Weald.
A Hurricane flew over the edge of Birmingham on Friday on it's way to Cosford.

Ray said it was housed at Coventry Dave. I have not a clue. He goes to all the airshows and plane spotting abroad.

If the aircraft which Lyn photographed had four engines - which it certainly appears to have had - it can't be the Dakota. Perhaps lines are getting crossed and there was one of the latter around as well.

Chris

If the aircraft which Lyn photographed had four engines - which it certainly appears to have had - it can't be the Dakota. Perhaps lines are getting crossed and there was one of the latter around as well.

Chris
I agree, the aircraft in astoness's photo is a B17.

Here is a picture of the Sally- B , taken at Duxford , taken in 2005

duxford_006A.jpg

Back