• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents were married at Yardley Parish Church in December 1934. They kept the parish magazine that recorded this. There were 8 pages of adverts. With any luck I will be attaching scans of 4 of them below.

View attachment 135222

View attachment 135224

View attachment 135225View attachment 135226

The magazine is of a particular interest to me as I noticed it was published by SPCK.
Founded 1698 and they are still going strong, I worked for them for 18 years until I retired last year! No longer in Northumberland Avenue though.

The magazine is of a particular interest to me as I noticed it was published by SPCK.
Founded 1698 and they are still going strong, I worked for them for 18 years until I retired last year! No longer in Northumberland Avenue though.
The parish magazine that I helped deliver in the late 1950/early 1960s had an insert that no doubt was produced by SPCK, making it some sort of a joint publication. Did that mean that SPCK paid the parish to include its insert, (which would reduce the parish's printing bill)?

The parish magazine that I helped deliver in the late 1950/early 1960s had an insert that no doubt was produced by SPCK, making it some sort of a joint publication. Did that mean that SPCK paid the parish to include its insert, (which would reduce the parish's printing bill)?

Yes, I would guess so, there was obviously some benefit.
SPCK was no longer involved with parish magazines during my time there and outsourced all the printing of their books etc to printing companies.

My parents were married at Yardley Parish Church in December 1934. They kept the parish magazine that recorded this. There were 8 pages of adverts. With any luck I will be attaching scans of 4 of them below.

View attachment 135222

View attachment 135224

View attachment 135225View attachment 135226
Ah! those were the days, all the local businesses crying their wares in the local Parish magazine, nothing fancy about the adverts, in most cases they did what it said in print. I wonder at what age did grandma give up Ovaltine and start on Bengers. They don't sell it at my local supermarket. I remember the name, but what was it, is there a grandma out there who tried it?

Bob

Probably a peak time for poster advertising as these old adverts show on buildings at the corner of Little Bow Street.
Something strange advertised at the Theatre Royal on the left, and Miss Vesta Tilley is appearing at Day's Theatre. Pear's Soap makes hands velvet soft and white, L'Hollier's perambulators for babies, and various digestive remedies. Almost something for everything. To the left of the gas lamp an advert shows someone falling head first on to a road but what it advertises is a mystery.

Behind the adverts plastered on the corner building used to be the National Provincial Bank !
On the street two groups of men look at each other and no one is smiling !
Little_Bow_St.jpg
click the pic and + to enlarge they are not smiling ....

A map below shows where the photograper was standing.
littlebowmap.jpg

And look around with Google streetview to see the area today. Click with mouse wheel or right click to see in separate tab ...

Last edited:
Here are the other four advert pages from the Yardley Parish Church Magazine for February 1935

AdvertA5.jpg

AdvertA6.jpg

AdvertA7.jpg

AdvertA8.jpg

There has been some dicussion of the printers of this magazine. So I had a closer look at it. It is really three seperately printed items. The cover and pages adjacent to the cover are the actual parish magazine printed in Yardley. It is 3 sheets giving 12 sides. Only 4 sides are numbered, 1 to 4. Following page 2 is an SPCK magazine 'The New Day'. This is made up of 8 sheets ie 16 sides numbered 17 to 30 plus 2 sides of adverts that have no number. This was printed in Guildford for the SPCK. The 2 sides of adverts are the less parochial ones given previously with adverts for Bengers and Bovril.

Finally there is 1 sheet (4 sides) 'The Monthly Messenger' of the Birmingham Diocese, printed by Hudson and Son in Livery Street. This is tucked in awkwardly between the last side of the SPCK section and page 3 of the parish section.

Here are the other four advert pages from the Yardley Parish Church Magazine for February 1935

View attachment 135265

View attachment 135266

View attachment 135267

View attachment 135268

There has been some dicussion of the printers of this magazine. So I had a closer look at it. It is really three seperately printed items. The cover and pages adjacent to the cover are the actual parish magazine printed in Yardley. It is 3 sheets giving 12 sides. Only 4 sides are numbered, 1 to 4. Following page 2 is an SPCK magazine 'The New Day'. This is made up of 8 sheets ie 16 sides numbered 17 to 30 plus 2 sides of adverts that have no number. This was printed in Guildford for the SPCK. The 2 sides of adverts are the less parochial ones given previously with adverts for Bengers and Bovril.

Finally there is 1 sheet (4 sides) 'The Monthly Messenger' of the Birmingham Diocese, printed by Hudson and Son in Livery Street. This is tucked in awkwardly between the last side of the SPCK section and page 3 of the parish section.
Here's a couple of photo's relating to two of your adverts. Shakespeare Bro's & Smith finished up next door to Barclays Bank on Station Rd and were there into the 1960's, John.Norman Watts Joyners bakery 1 Parade, Station Rd, Stechford  1930.jpg

Attachments

• Shakespeare Bro's.jpg
    Shakespeare Bro's.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 29
This advert/cartoon from Turner Brothers depicts the strong effect the company is having on war-time machinery output in WW2. It shows Hitler, Goebbels and Goering singing from the Hymn of Hate with the words "Gott Strafe Turner Bros Press Tools". I assume this means "May God punish Turner Bros Press Tools".
IMG_20190705_122801023 (2).jpg

All three French brands as well as Camel, Lucky Strike and occasionally Sweet Afton. Used to buy them from the kiosk , Findlays?, at Snow Hill station.

Bob

I remember Findlays tobacco shop on Colmore Row. In 1968 I smoked a pipe also and used to buy Scotch mixture from them. Behind the counter had dozens of Blue? jars in with the various tobacco mixtures. I suppose it's gone now.

All three French brands as well as Camel, Lucky Strike and occasionally Sweet Afton. Used to buy them from the kiosk , Findlays?, at Snow Hill station.

Bob

Bob I think I've only ever smoked one Camel cigarette , I smoked several Sweet Afton and Carrolls No1 in the Republic of Ireland . Meanwhile back in Brum as a child of 13 Park Drive , Silk Cut, Embassy , then the pipe , back to Embassy then Old Holborn hand rolling tobacco that would have been in the late 70's right up until I packed it in 2001. Mind you prior to the Park Drive we used to smoke the News of The World etc

BHF is wonderful for sparking off memories. About 50 years ago I saw one of the most hilarious posters ever. It was on a hoarding near Bordesley station.

There was a man at a table playing a trumpet. He was rather burly, unshaven, close cropped hair and wearing a singlet. He might have had a beatific expression on his face. The table was a rough one. Somewhere on the poster were the words “I dreamt I dwelt I marble halls.”. On the table was an Ansell's bottle.

That is the essence of my memory, it may not be correct in detail. The bottle may even have been M & B. I always prefer draught myself.

It was only today I found the origin of the words (via my wife and the internet). They are the title and first line of a song, or should that be an aria, from a 19th century opera The Bohemian Girl.

Amusing yes, but who was the target. It never would have converted me to drink Ansell's. My tipple was Dares if I could get it, M & B usually but Bass at the Troc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back