• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says it is new; where and when?
Never heard of it before and it would seem to me to be a sure way of catching your kitchen on fire! :eek:

Last edited:
It says it is new; where and when?
Never heard of it before and it would seem to me to be a sure way of catching you kitchen on fire! :eek:
Hi All,
It cannot be all that old as microwave ovens are very much post war. I imagine it was taken off the market very soon after it went on.
Old Boy

I remember my dad fitting one of those cowls to stop the chimney smoking..#783..first windy night after fitting, the chimney pot blew down..

This from CNN Food that flopped.
3. Reddi-Bacon

Any company smart enough to bless mankind with sprayable whipped cream -- the sort that promotes direct-to-mouth feeding -- has got to know a thing or two about immediate gratification. But sadly, the makers of Reddi-wip® were unable to meld their keen understanding of human laziness with one of processed meat.

They figured, if you're cooking breakfast in the morning and you've got a hankering for bacon, why dirty up a pan you'll only have to clean later?

The solution: foil-wrapped Reddi-Bacon you could pop into your toaster for piping-hot pork in minutes. It seemed perfect for the busy 1970's household, and what's more, the stuff actually tasted pretty good.

Too bad the absorbent pad intended to soak up the dripping grease tended to leak, creating not only a fire hazard, but also a messy (if not totally ruined) toaster.

Ultimately, the product lasted about as long as it took to cook; the company scrapped it before it went to market nationwide.

4. Coffee-flavored JELL

Went the same way as one I saw in the 1970s (American) of eggs which had been removed from their shells and then put in small plastic containers with"easily opened" foil strip to get at the contents

The approach used in the Zam-Buk advert shows how much advertising has changed. The graphic description of the ailment in the advert is enough to turn you off. And surely they didn't want it to just apply to sore noses. Did it warrant this specific reference? Were babies at that time falling and knocking the skin off their noses so often ? Viv.

BSA.jpg

Over the years when I was younger I had a shotgun and went clay pigeon shooting. I was rather active in those days and I soon discovered that the enjoyment I got from shooting a lump of clay from the sky was heavily overshadowed by the urge to do something more rewarding and satisfying.

I remember my nan using Zam Buk on my cuts and grazes. When I was a little girl, I was always falling over and scraging my knees and elbows, sometimes getting gravel in them, nan used to bandage them up with Zam Buk on lint and she said it would get the gravel that couldn't be got out by bathing the scrage. It was a nice smell I always thought, though it did sting at first!

Atco lawnmowers Stitcher, I seem to remember an Atco lawnmowers factory, or warehouse on the Stratford road at Wooton Wowen on the LH side just before the Naviagation pub where the canal goes over the road,as if your going to Stratford on Avon from Brum. The building is now converted to flats.
Am I right, this would have been in late 60s and 70s

Earlier posts of this thread give details of ATCO premises actually in Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if my 'all night fire' was the make shown in Post 830. Suffice to say it kept the house nice and warm as was welcomed by everyone before setting out for work or school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back