• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine that the caricature is meant to represent the Mad March Hare in Alice in Wonderland, Dave. (Its Late, It's Late + the pocketwatch) Idea being in March (when the advert may have have been published) its time to get your savings in order for the 1st April each year.

Thanks Dave, so that the war workers would have more public transport free.Paul
Hi All.
The word free has been misused in this context. It means free up more room for the workers. This was so that they could get home and maybe rest before a possible air raid. We have something similar now in that senior citizens bus passes cannot be used before 9.30am and between 4.30pm and 6.30pm.
There was though a "Workers Return Ticket" which had to be purchased before 9am. For example a fare of 4d each way would only cost 6d for a return ticket.
Old Boy

To the left of the entrance to Number 17 Court, Brearley Street is an advert for 'Government Tea'. It looks official but maybe it was not and I wonder whether the residents of the street ever tried it.
GovTeaBrearley.jpg

g-p-government-tea-vintage-ad-poster-8966749.jpg

Had a search on the internet, looks like it was a brand in the early 1900's

card00171_fr.jpg

A postcard for the tea - there seem to be quite a few on eBay etc. but I can't find any info on the company unfortunately.

Ahh, think I have found something - it looks like the GP stands for George Payne and company founded in 1896 who started off in tea and coffee and in later years were the makers of 'Paynes Poppetts' sweets.

I remember the Number 7 Bus Stop in that position, it would then make its way up Broad Street.

I always thought the no. 7 stop there was very odd and you can see from the picture how narrow the pavement was at that point. It would have been logical to have had it with the other Broad Street buses which stopped in Paradise Street. I always though that the 7 was an odd route as it ran one way as the 7 to Portland Road and the other way as the no. 5A to Perry Common. BCT always tried to avoid having to change destination boards on their buses but deliberately did this on the cross city routes. When Travel West Midlands rationalised the route they made the Perry Common route the number 7 when 5 would have been more logical.

I saw Victoria Square once described as the only anti-clockwise travel circulation in the country but this was not strictly accurate as it was not a roundabout. What I found odd was that the traffic lights worked on the all stop all go basis so that traffic from the Edmund Street direction and Colmore Row had to fight it out between themselves.

This picture brings back so many memories of waiting on that narrow strip waiting for the bus with traffic going close by!
It was better though, because now that so many buses go to the same stop you get pushed about in the surge forward!
rosie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back