• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
John collier, john collier, the window to whatch there old advert
And I think there was a small shop of there's there or four doors
From the spring hill library and tight next door was where you could buy four little Dominos ciggerettes
For a tanner 6d on our way to school Ickneild street sec, modhockley brook

Last suit I brought from, "Austin Reeds", I still have it was in the 80's and cost over £500, but it is still perfect if a little old fashioned.Paul

Sneaking in here an ultra-modern advert. Seen today on a giant electronic display at Waterloo Station and advertising BT-Mobile with actor and comedian Alec Baldwin at various locations. Anyone from Birmingham will recognise the location in the photo below. Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_20160611_160700941-1.jpg
    IMG_20160611_160700941-1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 51
Quite a cracking 1937 advert for George Ellison Ltd, Birmingham 20, who were manufacturers of electric switchgear. You too could have had a six-pack like the one illustrated. Not sure if this counts as Art Deco? The illustrator was T. L. Poulton. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020599 (2).JPG
    P1020599 (2).JPG
    978.6 KB · Views: 45
Looking at a photo of some bomb damage in Ford Street Hockley I noticed this advert showing through the smoke.
'Housewives! Please Finish Travelling by 4.0 clock'.
Wartime Advert.jpg

I saw this advert for National Savings in a shop window in Wiltshire last week. Everything else in the window was old and therefore I am assuming that the advert is old as well. No idea who the cartoon character represents. It looks almost American. Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_095852756.jpg
    IMG_20160909_095852756.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 34
I would imagine that the caricature is meant to represent the Mad March Hare in Alice in Wonderland, Dave. (Its Late, It's Late + the pocketwatch) Idea being in March (when the advert may have have been published) its time to get your savings in order for the 1st April each year.

Thanks Dave, so that the war workers would have more public transport free.Paul
Hi All.
The word free has been misused in this context. It means free up more room for the workers. This was so that they could get home and maybe rest before a possible air raid. We have something similar now in that senior citizens bus passes cannot be used before 9.30am and between 4.30pm and 6.30pm.
There was though a "Workers Return Ticket" which had to be purchased before 9am. For example a fare of 4d each way would only cost 6d for a return ticket.
Old Boy

To the left of the entrance to Number 17 Court, Brearley Street is an advert for 'Government Tea'. It looks official but maybe it was not and I wonder whether the residents of the street ever tried it.
GovTeaBrearley.jpg

g-p-government-tea-vintage-ad-poster-8966749.jpg

Had a search on the internet, looks like it was a brand in the early 1900's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back