• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Murraymints advert from the 1950s. Not sure what type of Guards they are or whether they are just made up? Dave.
P1020578 (2).JPG

Farmerdave, we have to count how buttons are arranged, the come in groups of so many 2 3 etc. someone who knows will tell soon!
Cheers Tim

Quite right, The Murrymint's advert shows buttons in single file, "Grenadier", Regt of foot guards, but the "Garter Star" on neck band, "Coldstream Regiment of foot Guards" , so slightly confusing. Paul

Mad to think today that cigarettes were advertised in that way. And cigarette adverts in the 1960s were everywhere, I remember them on billboards, painted signs on walls, TV ads, buses. Probably one of the most advertised product of the time. Viv.

Mad to think today that cigarettes were advertised in that way. And cigarette adverts in the 1960s were everywhere, I remember them on billboards, painted signs on walls, TV ads, buses. Probably one of the most advertised product of the time. Viv.
Not to mention F1 cars, JPS & Marlboro, there may have been others.

View attachment 104974 View attachment 104975 View attachment 104976 View attachment 104977
Who would have thought you could buy Durex in 72 yard lengths. & made in Brum.
When I was a kid one of our neighbours worked on the twilight shift at 3M, where the tape was made. We always had a good supply of the coloured adhesive tapes they made, as allegedly she could bring home any rolls that had not rolled straight. I think sometimes this happened accidently on purpose!

humber hawk.jpg The Hawk was my favourite car of the 50`s.zephyr.jpg Ford Zephyr my favourite of the 60`s.hillman minx.jpg Hillman Minx my least favourite car of the 70`s. Thank goodness it had a starting handle!!

We once had a Super Snipe, bought it third hand through a local mechanic here in Oz. Don't know how many miles we put on the clock and never missed a beat.
Only had one fault, occasionally the bonnet would pop up, just that inch, this however was very rare, a lovely two tone paint job, BRG over a sort of mint green.
We once saw it's double coming in the opposite direction and it also had the popped bonnet.
So sad that these days its rare to be able to name the oncoming car by its shape alone.
Whinge over!

This looks like a pretty boring advert compared with some of the 1950s colourful ads we've seen. But it shows three businesses sharing advertising space (and I presume sharing advertising costs), all in the same locality of Lodge Road and giving an impression of true respectability. Choice meats, pure and hygenically wrapped bread and a newsagents that's 'closed on Sunday's'. In a nutshell, a very respectable neighbourhood! Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 36
I was looking at an old pic in another thread and spotted these adverts on a pharmacy on the corner of Paradise St. Life was so simple back then ... household remedies for all ailments ... and they believed in them.
oldadvert.JPG
Tussicura ...
For Coughs and Colds and something unreadable.

Somnosnara ...
For Neuralgia, Face Ache

Compound Tonic ...
For Weakness, Nervousness

Cannicide ....
Difficult to read this one, probably gets rid of Warts, Corns, and Bunnions ?
(I entered the word 'Cannicide' in Google search and did not notice that Google removed an 'n' and searched for 'Canicide' which is very different)

This is a 1929 trade advert for Russian Oil Products. The contact address is Transport House, 211 Broad Street, Birmingham. I believe that Transport House is still there but I think it lies empty at the moment? I hadn't realised that we were importing motor spirit from Russia in 1929. Dave.
P1020590 (2).JPG

There is a file in the National archives in file HO 144/17916 which is summarised in the index as:

Disturbances: Russian Oil Products Ltd: Communist ActivitiesRussian Oil Products Ltd was a British company which had sole control over the distribution of Russian oil in the UK. Officials were concerned that this company was being used as a base for communist political activities leading to espionage and sabotage. This file includes profiles of communist activists and employees, both Russian and British, submissions from surveillance officers and ex-employees, discussions about placing the company on the King's Roll for ex-servicemen and extensive news clippings.

This advert for Austin Reed was in the Birmingham Mail on 3rd March 1959. The caption was "Now's the time, and Austin Reeds is the place---". The Birmingham branch of this clothes outfitters for men was at 41 New Street. Unfortunately, this 116-year old business will close by the end of June. All 120 stores will close with the loss of 1000 jobs.
P1020596 (2).JPG

Last edited:
This looks like a pretty boring advert compared with some of the 1950s colourful ads we've seen. But it shows three businesses sharing advertising space (and I presume sharing advertising costs), all in the same locality of Lodge Road and giving an impression of true respectability. Choice meats, pure and hygenically wrapped bread and a newsagents that's 'closed on Sunday's'. In a nutshell, a very respectable neighbourhood! Viv.
I had a Saturday job at Scribban's bakery(1953-58). Out on one of their rounds in Lea Village and Tile Cross. Bread was 8 1/2d unwrapped and 9 1/2d sliced. Elsewhere on the forum is a thread about Marston Green Maternity Hospital they were one of our customers having specially made unsalted bread.

Last edited:
John collier, john collier, the window to whatch there old advert
And I think there was a small shop of there's there or four doors
From the spring hill library and tight next door was where you could buy four little Dominos ciggerettes
For a tanner 6d on our way to school Ickneild street sec, modhockley brook

Last suit I brought from, "Austin Reeds", I still have it was in the 80's and cost over £500, but it is still perfect if a little old fashioned.Paul

Sneaking in here an ultra-modern advert. Seen today on a giant electronic display at Waterloo Station and advertising BT-Mobile with actor and comedian Alec Baldwin at various locations. Anyone from Birmingham will recognise the location in the photo below. Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_20160611_160700941-1.jpg
    IMG_20160611_160700941-1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 51
Quite a cracking 1937 advert for George Ellison Ltd, Birmingham 20, who were manufacturers of electric switchgear. You too could have had a six-pack like the one illustrated. Not sure if this counts as Art Deco? The illustrator was T. L. Poulton. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020599 (2).JPG
    P1020599 (2).JPG
    978.6 KB · Views: 45
Looking at a photo of some bomb damage in Ford Street Hockley I noticed this advert showing through the smoke.
'Housewives! Please Finish Travelling by 4.0 clock'.
Wartime Advert.jpg

I saw this advert for National Savings in a shop window in Wiltshire last week. Everything else in the window was old and therefore I am assuming that the advert is old as well. No idea who the cartoon character represents. It looks almost American. Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_095852756.jpg
    IMG_20160909_095852756.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 34
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back