• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more wartime adsverts
Very interested in seeing the wartime advert in showing the biography of Lord Haw-Haw which was illustrated by Fenwick. Ian Fenwick was a popular cartoonist in the 1930s and early 1940s publishing in The Tatler, Men Only, London Opinion, The Strand and The Bystander magazines. In February 1944, as Major Fenwick, he joined the First Special Air Service Regiment and was in command of an S.A.S. squadron which operated in France behind enemy lines. Sadly, he was killed in action in France in early August 1944. His last book of cartoons called "Enter Trubshaw" was published posthumously in 1945 and gives a fuller account of his activities in France. I have included a photograph of Ian Fenwick from that book and also one of his cartoons in a section described as "Guards". Dave.
P1020571 (2).jpgP1020572 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
meccano.jpgoxo.jpgsmoke.jpgvampire.jpgPaul,
I know some of the ads are a bit risque & i hope they don`t offend anyone. Some of the ads depict what the advertisers think of women, "stay in the kitchen & do as you`re told" Those ads today would go down like a lead balloon, & rightly so. Sadly there are still some countries where women are treated merely as posessions

Porridge oats is how i would spell these oats, but in the ad they`re spelled Porage? Is that an old spelling or possibly for the American market?

Porridge oats is how i would spell these oats, but in the ad they`re spelled Porage? Is that an old spelling or possibly for the American market?

Smudger - well spotted. Seems they're still called Porage too. A bit of history and the present day Tesco online ad for Scotts

"......... an old question over the spelling of ‘porridge’. If you buy Scott’s oats the packet tells you you are eating ‘porage’. This is a word made up by A & R Scott in Glasgow when they launched Scott’s Porage Oats in 1914, and combined the old Scots word poray with the French word potage."

image.jpeg

I like this ad - HP sauce - nice and bright, of it's time, 1950s. And of course I ALWAYS take HP sauce with my lobster daaaarlings. Viv.

image.jpeg

I like this ad - HP sauce - nice and bright, of it's time, 1950s. And of course I ALWAYS take HP sauce with my lobster daaaarlings. Viv.

View attachment 104149

Cor blimey, HP sauce with lobster, how common! I have champagne with mine. Did you know that cor blimey was a mangled version of God blind me. Probably mangled by our Cockney friends.

Lobster and champagne Smudger ? Oh so yesterday! Can anyone identify the pile of something on the lower left plate? Bear in mind it's supposed to be complemented by HP sauce. Viv.

Looks a bit more like a pile of slices of bread to me. Maybe its aimed at Liverpudlians and is for an HP butty

It could be crackers as I have seen another HP advert with a plate of cheese and biscuits on it.

Janice

Think that's probably it Mike. Thanks.

For all you football referees and policemen here's the Acme whistle. Viv.

image.jpeg

Something I can't answer myself never been a drinker of beer I never quite got the taste for it, so I moved on to other drinks that were the same in whatever pub that you used. So which was the best and I have heard all the arguments for both.

Attachments

• Advert M & B.jpg
    Advert M & B.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Advert Ansells.jpg
    Advert Ansells.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 34
I think the only ale I ever drank that wasn't from a bottle was Watney's Red and I drank that for a short while when I used the Bell at Northfield which was a Davenports House. At least I think that's were it was!

Attachments

• watneys red.jpg
    watneys red.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 33
I was and always will be an "Ansell's Mild beer", drinker from the tender age of 15 years, had my first pint in the car park of (The Stonehouse Pub), Weoley Castle.paul

You couldn't miss this advertising Warship Week on the Town Hall in 1942, it needed scaffolding. £10,000,000 was a lot of money in those days.
Warshipweek1942.jpg

Interesting use of Nelson image on the Warship Week banner. That was a really big banner too. Viv.

Although old adverts I used these very two items over the weekend. You can't beat a Brillo pad for cleaning roasting tins. And a marmite sandwich is a great snack (only in my opinion) any time of day. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

cadbury1.jpgcadbury2.pngcadbury3.jpgcadbury4.jpg

Personally Viv i can`t stomach Marmite, far too salty, & as for Brillo pads that`s a no-no for a lazy sod like me. All my pots & pans are non stick. Give me 4 squares of cadburys milk & i`m a happy bunny.

I tend to have some Marmite every evening. Good for Vitamin B and I also read that it tends to repel mosquitoes. Seems to be working as I haven't seen a Mosquito in our neighbourhood for years. Dave.
Marmite! Each of my two daughters bought me a large jar(personalized) for Christmas. During WW2 our local grocer (Tennant's on the Warwick Rd. at Tyseley) each week kept a jar for us "under the counter" so we could have our daily fix

I like this 1929 advert for a Soho Road supplier of quality furniture. The range is called "Emvee" quality furniture. Obviously a range intended to put your neighbours noses out of joint! Viv.

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back