• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still sing some of those TV adverts. We were so young and we were brainwashed by them. Lets face it TV was so new back then and it was so brilliant to even have a black and white TV and we even loved the ads.
One thousand and one cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.
The Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring call at the Esso sign.
Raelbrook, raelbrook the shirts for men.
Mackerson Mackerson the worlds favourite drink is a Mackerson...keep em happy give em a Mackerson
theres loads but cant remember more offhand

I still sing some of those TV adverts. We were so young and we were brainwashed by them. Lets face it TV was so new back then and it was so brilliant to even have a black and white TV and we even loved the ads.
One thousand and one cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.
The Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring call at the Esso sign.
Raelbrook, raelbrook the shirts for men.
Mackerson Mackerson the worlds favourite drink is a Mackerson...keep em happy give em a Mackerson
theres loads but cant remember more offhand

You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsoldent.
Pennyfarthing a mile and you'll travel in style, the Renault Dauphine.
Frosties, Tony the tiger says there Grrrrrrrrrrrreat.

You're never alone with a Strand ,buy a Castella for the price of a pint , Brew X1 specially brewed for the men of the midlands , Ansells bitterman ,John Collier John Collier the window to watch , Guinness , looks good , tastes good , and by golly it does you good , go to work on an egg, it's the fish John West reject that makes John West the best , Consulate cool as a mountain stream, Condorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsoldent.
Pennyfarthing a mile and you'll travel in style, the Renault Dauphine.
Frosties, Tony the tiger says there Grrrrrrrrrrrreat.
The Pepsodent advert was I believe the first TV ad to be shown. Now to really stretch your memories, and I do not know the answer, what comdian/singer/show, changed the punch line to ......when you brush your teeth with wet cement?
Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsJrwEe8fI

You're never alone with a Strand ,buy a Castella for the price of a pint , Brew X1 specially brewed for the men of the midlands , Ansells bitterman ,John Collier John Collier the window to watch , Guinness , looks good , tastes good , and by golly it does you good , go to work on an egg, it's the fish John West reject that makes John West the best , Consulate cool as a mountain stream, Condorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
Bernard Miles said it looks good.tasts good

Last edited:
WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE DOOR YOUR POUNDS WORTH MORE AT WILLIAMS WHERE ELSE ! This was a very controversial advert for the furniture shop that was taken off TV after alot of complaints .I dont think many of the women complained it was more the men !!!

A Màrs a day helps you work rest and play
A English Mars bar are still the best chilled a little while, all though they have gotten smaller.
I special treat here in the US.

Murray Walker the F1 broadcaster wrote the saying be for his TV days.

The Pepsodent advert was I believe the first TV ad to be shown. Now to really stretch your memories, and I do not know the answer, what comdian/singer/show, changed the punch line to ......when you brush your teeth with wet cement?
Bob
I always thought that the first TV commercial was for Gibbs SR toothpaste but perhaps I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back