• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a female of the species - I don't think we're that gullible Radiorails. If others are like me they find a brand they like (in my case non-biological) and stick with it, perhaps searching round for money off and best offers. I'm pleased to say that one of our cheaper supermarkets does a very good one.
On another thread we were discussing washing machines (and mangles) - my first washing machine had no apparent mechanism (paddles etc) and was sold on the 'living water' principle. I don't remember how many 'hands' it was but it was certainly very old.
I always liked the advert which knocked 'wishy washy paddle action' but I can't remember which brand it was or which it was knocking. Any ideas anyone?

A detergent advert I remember as a child showed two women on bicycles, one with a brilliant white dress and a packet of Persil in her basket and the other in a grey dress with a packet of Oxydol (remember that? I think it is still sold in America) in her basket. The slogan was 'Persil Washes Whiter'. It was some years later that advertisers were banned from knocking their competitors by name.

A detergent advert I remember as a child showed two women on bicycles, one with a brilliant white dress and a packet of Persil in her basket and the other in a grey dress with a packet of Oxydol (remember that? I think it is still sold in America) in her basket. The slogan was 'Persil Washes Whiter'. It was some years later that advertisers were banned from knocking their competitors by name.
David
You are right you van still get Oxydol not only in the states but also some of the old colonies, I have seen it in tescos Penang, South Africa and both Mauritius and Seychelles
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nottingham Raleigh factory reminds me of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, released in 1960 if I remember rightly.

[

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 77ddc4e7e52387e72d1aa728cfd007ae.jpg
    77ddc4e7e52387e72d1aa728cfd007ae.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 27
Re. Ambrosia. Still a big, big fan - straight from the tin, and cold. ("Where are your manners my girl ?" I hear my mum say). In post #445 it calls it a "sweet". Do people still call puddings a "sweet"? Not sure they do any more.

The "Flatley" vaguely rings a bell, but never saw one and never heard of anyone owning one. Must have moved in the wrong circles !

PS 'Lux" a useful word in Scrabble to take care of "X" = 10 points. Whenever I use it in Scrabble I immediately go back to those soap adverts. Viv.

Flatley driers, very useful in wet winter times and of course in places where lack of dring areas appertained.
https://www.1900s.org.uk/1950s-60s-flatley.htm
Given the one third price reuction - a large amount to be sure - in the advert I am guessing this might be a clearance price when the company had issues with the Hoover people. (see notes in the link).

This one takes me back, bought one when we lived in Park Road or Avenue (off Soho Road, it travelled with us to Devon and although it did a little clothes drying in Plymoutjh and North Devon, it finished its days with us being used as the sterilized and heater for jars being used for jam and marmalade making. It was an extremely useful and efficient unit and when he married my son borrowed it and as far as I know had up until quite recently.
Bob

Old Mohawk placed a picture on Group Photos, and in the background was an advert for RINSO.....this is from 1915

IMG_2057.jpg

What a peculiar name- USON. Reminds me of disinfectant IZAL- not something to put on your hair, even for a spiv (always associate brilliantine with spivs)

What a peculiar name- USON. Reminds me of disinfectant IZAL- not something to put on your hair, even for a spiv (always associate brilliantine with spivs)

I suppose Brilliantine was just a rival product to Brylcreem, which I always had plastered over my short back and sides by the Kyrwicks Lane barber around 1960. I still remember its distinctive scenty smell.

Not sure about this brand of Brilliantine, but, if I remember right, Brilliantine was a liquid with a very strong smell, whereas brylcreme waa a cream

That UZON was quite expensive when you looked at the prices especially considering the date, I just hope it worked especially if you wanted a rich, luxuriant and brilliant moustache!!!! Yes brilliantine was highly scented, Brylcreem was to greasy for my mothers liking and it didn't help my cricket either so I finished up using Vaseline Hair Tonic, it must have worked at 81 I still have some left, rapidly thinning, but still some there.

Bob

Something about Brylcream: The company had a surprise rush of orders from an African country (can't remember which) and the orders got so large that they were mystified about it so sent a rep out to see what was going on, he found that the locals were eating it as a delicacy.

IMG_2076.jpg

Something about Brylcream: The company had a surprise rush of orders from an African country (can't remember which) and the orders got so large that they were mystified about it so sent a rep out to see what was going on, he found that the locals were eating it as a delicacy.

In a recently written book Africa Called; Scientists and Development in Nigeria, by Alan Hayward (2008)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...gwMAY#v=onepage&q=brylcreem in africa&f=false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back