• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 110749

1955 from The Sphere, from a painting by Clive Upton.
The front cover of one of Ian Allan's spotters reference books of Birmingham City Transport has a picture of a number 7 at that stop and I am sat by the window upstairs, it is in the loft at the moment but when I can gat back up there I will find it and put it on the forum. The bus stopped there because it was the split for buses going down New Street and those heading for Broad Street. But is the painting wrong because the stop appears to be on the wrong side of the reservation? Comments please.
Bob

I think it is a question of the perspective. I commented in another post how narrow the reservation was at that point and that there was no barrier on the road side.

DevonJim
I am about to argue with you, firstly thanks for posting a superb picture. Was it a postcard? However in the painting, the bus stop is on the left hand side of the reservation coming towards the Town Hall from Colmore Row with the actual sign over the road and this would make boarding the bus impossible. Your picture looking from the Town Hall back up Colmore Row clearly shows the true size of the reservation with the bus stop on the right hand side looking from Colmore Row and the actual sign over the pavement. However one thing I have forgotten is...was the 5a the only bus to go from the stop/s hidden by the statue?
Bob

The lady in blue looks as if she is leaning against the bus stop and is standing on the kerb. The lady in green is already on the carriageway so we cannot see the base of the bus stop. The man with the pinstripe pants is a little odd in that he looks as if he is standing with his back to the road. I still think is a perspective issue which the artist could have got wrong. One thing that does look wrong is the width of the pavement compared with DevonJim's photo. The bus stop flag would always be positioned pointing away from the road unless for some reason the post was back from the kerb say against a wall or hedge. The no. 7 bus to Portland Road went from this stop travelling along Paradise Street. The 5/5A bus went to Perry Common stopping outside the Museum and going down New Street.

re #338. Take your points, the pavement is too narrow and the passengers are looking the wrong way. I think 15A/15B both stopped outside Lyons before going down New St on the way out of town, down Ethel St? towards Hill St. The picture has been posted previously on the forum.

The 15 went to somewhere in south Birmingham, I have forgotten where, and ran cross city with the no. 16 to Hamstead, These buses came up Ethel Street and down New Street. The no 15 came along Colmore Row and turned down New Street and into lower Temple Street to get to Hill Street. Yes I think it did stop outside Lyons but I don't know if any others did.

At the time being written about the 15 went Yardley and the 15B to Garrets Green. There was a 15A but I never saw one. I know the 15 services were extended as the city expanded its area.

I was just going to press the like button, but then two things struck me, how modern, in relative terms, the bike looked, but also Aston Cross? Having worked at Dunlop for three years, Aston Cross never came into my daily dose of knowledge, so reading you are now coming up to 15 years old is there anyone out there who can tell me whereabouts in Aston Cross and if so when was the Fort built. However what a super evocative of the age advert. There was also a third interesting point, the make of the winning bike. Looking forward to seeing the map and the pictures.
Bob davis

Not sure if I'd call it Aston Cross, but Manor mills was occupied by Dunlop from about 1902. They took over the factory from Byrne Bros India Rubber Co about 1902 and, in 1910, the firm began making golf balls on the site. This continued after WW1, but by the late 1930s the mills were no longer into rubber but were manufacturing bicycles.

map c 1916 showing position of manor mills,.jpg

The 15 went to somewhere in south Birmingham, I have forgotten where, and ran cross city with the no. 16 to Hamstead, These buses came up Ethel Street and down New Street. The no 15 came along Colmore Row and turned down New Street and into lower Temple Street to get to Hill Street. Yes I think it did stop outside Lyons but I don't know if any others did.
If my memory serves me right, the 13a, 24, 31, 32, and 17 buses all stopped outside Lyons back in the day, I recall that two evenings running on my way home from work getting bombed by starlings there!!

Welcome barester. Hope you enjoy being a member of our forum. We welcome memories like yours of the starlings, it's the sort of thing that sparks memories for many people. It reminds me of the mass swarm at dusk around the Cathedral. Viv.

Referring to the Dunlop advertisements I was reminded of learning in my student days of a 1921 libel case brought by Dr. Dunlop in the Irish High Court Chancery Division against the Dunlop Rubber Company for portraying him in advertisements is a comic way. This case went all the way to the House of Lords. This is a quote from the judgement in the case "It is to be noted that the claim in the writ for an injunction was to restrain the defendant from publishing any advertisements etc which contained pictures representing the plaintiff 'in absurd or unsuitable costumes or attitudes, or caricatures of him, or otherwise calculated to expose him to public ridicule or contempt by misrepresenting his appearance or costume'."

Dr Dunlop the inventor of the pneumatic bicycle tyre had allowed the company to use a bust of him in advertisements. However in the facts of the case Dr Dunlop's features were placed upon the body of a very tall man dressed in an exaggeratedly foppish manner, wearing a tall white hat, a white waistcoat, and carrying a cane and eyeglass.

Many thanks to all who have added to my knowledge of Dunlop, the maps, the adverts and the info....just shows you are never to old to k
learn. Just after the Travel Lodge opened at the Fort, I had occasion to stay there but could hardly sleep in case Harry Baker called because had not got some details for a shipment of tyres to Africa!!!!!
Bob Davis

New House anybody?
My parents bought one of these in '35/36 - the builder said 'why don't you buy the one next door and rent it out? It will be a good investment' - 'No thanks, we can't afford it' was their reply . . . . . . . . . AAAAGH

The terminus for the 15 bus was Whittington Oval in Yardley.

Caramac was only introduced in 1959, and there are not many papers in the archive that late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back