• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oil Painting Of An Abandoned Farm

cookie273uk

master brummie
Many years ago, 1981 to be precise, at the age of 51 I enrolled for 'A' level Art for a challenge and the final exam demanded a "Ruined or abandoned edifice" this was my effort, I passed with a 'B' still have my certificate, this is one of the few Oil paintings I painted before changing to watercolour. It still hangs in my studio (never got round to varnishing it). EricA level Art painting.jpg

It was near Tewkesbury, just off the A38, I used a bit of Artist's licence to make it look worse than it was !! Whilst I was sketching I was disturbed by a couple of inquisitive cows, so there must have been a habitable farm close bye. Eric

Lyn, I went down that way a few years later to paint a boat builders yard just outside Tewkesbury (in Watercolour) for the owner and I noticed that the ruin had been flattened. Eric

Eric,

There were still several up in the Yorkshire Dales, rather isolated, and in a lot worse condition than that. Our village here in Crete comprises about 600 houses, but I would say that probably a third of them are uninhabited and in various states of dereliction, mainly due to the Greek inheritance laws, whereby you can't disinherit your children or grandchildren except in very exceptional circumstances, such as a proven serious assault upon yourself. This results in houses with multiple owners over two or three generations, and all have to agree to sell and agree the price as well. The older generation's thinking is that once a place is sold, it has gone out of the family. So there are many places with absentee owners, and no one wants to spend money on repairs unless they can be sure of getting their money back.

The place opposite us is an example, and I could have easily sold it to some Brits earlier this year who were looking for a place to renovate in this village. But two of the owners live in the USA, we see them every other year when they come over, and they'd be happy to sell, but they are not the sole owners and the others don't want to sell. Meanwhile the folks who actually live here are pleased when someone buys an old house and renovates it as it helps to keep the village alive.

But derelict buildings are loved as subjects by artists and photographers alike.

Maurice

This ruin looks like one used in a very old episode of Midsommer Murders. Mind you guess there are a lot around that would fit that bill.
Cheers Tim

Back