• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Office Starter 2010

archie7

proper brummie kid
Computer purchased loaded with Office Starter 2010 giving me Word & Excel. Eventually updated from Windows 7 to 10.
Would now like Power Point and thinking that as I had never validated Office I would try with the product code but this keeps coming back 'invalid'.
Do I have to purchase Office 365 to get Power Point?
Also I suddenly find that I can't print from my computer. Keeps telling me I don't have the correct version of Office! To print I have to email item to my iPad and print from there.
Any suggestions please.
Archie 7

Office Starter 2010 does not include Powerpoint but I think you should be able to just buy it rather than office 365. I would just do a search on Google and see what it suggests. With regards to your printer it may be that it needs a different "driver" to run it from Windows 10 - a search on the web site for the make of your printer might tell you - these are sometimes free if it is for an update.

I have a PC with Microsoft Office Starter on it.

This was a "free" version of Office that included copies of Work and Excel ONLY (and "cut down" versions of them though fine for most people). It was NOT a trial and my versions still work.

Microsoft hoped that people would start with this then upgrade to the full version of Office (at a cost) but few people did so they stopped shipping it.

As has been said, it does NOT come with Powerpoint.

If you want Powerpoint you will either have to buy the full version of office or Office 365.

Note that Office 365 is a product you pay for each year. Once you have bought it then after one year you have to pay again to keep using it.

You can still but "normal" Office" on CD, for example Office Home and Student 2016 includes Word Excel and Powerpoint, see here

https://products.office.com/en-gb/home-and-student

Office comes in various packages so you can buy it to include other products (Access etc) but it then gets even more expensive.

Thank you both for your input. I now understand that there are a number of free presentation programmes available which I will look at.
Archie7

Thanks Radiorails and oldMohawk. Having posted my original question a friend pointed me in the direction of LibreOffice, a suggestion that you both endorse. I'll give it a try.
Archie7

Thanks Radiorails and oldMohawk. Having posted my original question a friend pointed me in the direction of LibreOffice, a suggestion that you both endorse. I'll give it a try.
Archie7
I have tried to add Libre to my windows but FireFox will not allow it.any thoughts?
JHughes

I was given a copy of Works 9 by a kind Forum member, love its Word Processor, also its Data Base and Broad Sheet, suits all my needs. Eric

Try downloading using Internet Explorer. Edge or another Browser than Firefox. I Haven't used Firefox recently since its update, maybe your settings have change.

Last edited:
My Office Starter 2010 stopped working and I uninstalled it, but was unable to download it again (it too came preloaded on my W7 machine). I'm now on Windows 10 (1709 Fall Creators Edition). Only solution for me was to download OpenOffice 4.1.4 and change the Word and Excel defaults. You would have to save files in the relevant Word and Excel formats (e.g. '97-2003).

I was given a copy of Works 9 by a kind Forum member, love its Word Processor, also its Data Base and Broad Sheet, suits all my needs. Eric

Works 9 is a "dead end" as Microsoft no longer produce it or support it. In fact that was 10 years ago according to Wikipedia.

Many products have trouble reading the Works word processor files if you send them to anyone else, also if you create a large database with Works and then Works stops working you will not be able to open it with any other product.

I doubt if Microsoft test Works with the latest versoins of Windows so if you ever get a new PC you may find Works does not work.

To be honest I would not create any more files with Works and start to move across to other products.

guilbert53, that's a pity for I find it easy to use unlike the modern replacements which I find more difficult to fathom out not being very PC wise. My main usage of Works is typing and posting letters and filing the odd data base. I suppose I will have to look for something to replace it but it will have to be easy to follow/understand. I have had Works since having my first PC 15 years ago, will be sorry to see it go, so simple and adequate for my needs. I guess that's progress !! Eric

Hi Eric, although Microsoft don’t officially support Works you are already running it using Windows 10 in a modern computer and it will continue to run.
oldmohawk

oldMohawk, Thanks for that info, will keep with it then till I have problems. I am fed up of finally getting the hang of something then they promptly change it, particularly operating systems, I found OS 7 easy to suss out and suitable for my needs, I buy another PC and find it was OS 8.1 until I down loaded OS 10, they assume we are all PC experts which is certainly not the case, particularly the more mature amongst us who were around long before PC's. Eric

Back