• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Off to town on the 53 bus

The YWCA was a gym, a Dance Hall, Masonic HQ, Stage (Pantomime) productions, and teenage club. All my dad’s four brothers and sisters, plus him, met their wives there…and so did I many years later…he even got to sing there during the War years and just after…a bit changed now, it's a Mosque...

Tram  YWCA Richmond Rd.jpg Trams   Richmond Road BGE crossroads.jpg YWCA.jpg YWCA Dance Band Clip.jpg YWCA Masonic Hall 2009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...the family worshipped nightly at the Richmond, bowled and sung ourselves hoarse there… what a change now…it's a Medical Centre...what Hitler failed to do when they bombed it in 1940, the 'Planners' did for it in 2009...

RICHMOND.jpg s S.jpg Richmond poscard.jpg YWCA Rainbow 1963.jpg Richmond end 1.JPG

..and beyond..and no Kenny Baker outside Jim Plumleys...he was probably in the Custard House running his beloved Bordesley Rovers (with Mickey Bakewell of the Modernaires)...

BGE Blake Lane Magnet Library.jpg BGE Jim Plumleys.jpgBGE Era Cinema 2.jpg BGE Era Cinema 1949.jpg BGE Victoria Street Public Loos.jpg..

..oops forgot the Little Bromwich Fever Hospital...now Heartlands Hospital....

Little Bromwich Hosp  Map.jpg Little Bromwich  Aerial view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed - Bordesley Green East ended at Stuarts Road hence the tram termininus on reserved track complete with public conveniences (Nearly all tram termini had public loos in the vicinity!). Strangely although Brum was quite forward in its planning for the future (Dual carriageways planned on all access roads into the city) trams fell short of this vision, although provision was made for them, Whereas other major cities extended their tram services out as new housing appeared in the 30's Birminghams trams remained at their original termini, feeder bus services being introduced from the new estates to connect with them. This arrangement soldiered on until 1948 when the trams were replaced (90 replaced by 53 bus and 84 by the 54). Only some years later (60's) was the 53 extended over the "New" part of BGE (erstwhile Royston Road) to the Meadway. The 54 still only run as far as Stechford as late as 1975!

Indeed - Bordesley Green East ended at Stuarts Road hence the tram termininus on reserved track complete with public conveniences (Nearly all tram termini had public loos in the vicinity!). Strangely although Brum was quite forward in its planning for the future (Dual carriageways planned on all access roads into the city) trams fell short of this vision, although provision was made for them, Whereas other major cities extended their tram services out as new housing appeared in the 30's Birminghams trams remained at their original termini, feeder bus services being introduced from the new estates to connect with them. This arrangement soldiered on until 1948 when the trams were replaced (90 replaced by 53 bus and 84 by the 54). Only some years later (60's) was the 53 extended over the "New" part of BGE (erstwhile Royston Road) to the Meadway. The 54 still only run as far as Stechford as late as 1975!

Thanks for that snippet Roly...I was beginning to think that nobody looked in on this Thread...it hardly ever seems to show up on "todays posts" or the "forum entries" of the day/week, no matter how many posts get posted (if you see what I mean) that day....except this one!!! Lets hope it gets more traffic...there must be lots of pics out there...

Last edited:
Dennis

The problem is that you always do so complete and competent a job on a thread that it often leaves the rest of us poor mortals with little to say. Or to put it another way "gobsmacked", but nevertheless I shall add this little piece. Three photos are all I have of the 53 bus service a bus that I only ever used infrequently on the rare occasion that we made our way to the weekend dances at the Blakesley in that den of iniquity that was just up the road past your home from home the Richmond.

One photo shows a 1948 Daimler bus on Coventry Rd at the top of Kingston Hill, another shows a Fleetliner bus at the terminus in Carrs Lane in 1973 and another shows a bus at the Stuarts Rd terminus.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 45
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 45
You sure you got the right bloke Phil?...there are so many star posters on this Forum I feel just privileged to be part of it....you and mikejee especially, you daft plonker! You inspired me to join and copy you!! And thanks for the buzzes....loved em...Carrs Lane and the Firebird...first restaurant to chuck us out...plus Brooks Brothers...my very first whistle and flute...and the gun shop....Powell's was it?

...and inspired by my retired layabout pal....a few more from the Route....including my old Football team pub the Victoria...now a mosquey thing...and The Atlas at the junction where the 53 and 54 split....my dad was born at no 99 Cattell Rd...right next door to the Atlas...bless him....

53 54 Bus Terminus Carrs Lane.jpg BGE Junction 1935.jpg Cattell Road The Atlas Pub.jpg Victoria Pub 1975 .jpg Victoria Pub old .jpg

and a few more, including Craig's Cycles.. where I bought my first bike...a Hercules purple jobby...Gardners extant Milk Bar by the Broadway...Garrison Lane Flats, and the Forge Tavern on the 54 route by the bus garages...

BGE Craigs Cycles.jpg BGE Blake Lane Era corner.jpg Gardners Broadway BGE.jpg Garrison Lane Flats BGE.jpg Forge Tavern  Deritend.jpg

I remember Craig's shop,I bought a pair of celuloide mudguards from him, forget how much they were, but it seemed to take ages to save up for them, then my mate rode his bike into the back of me and they snapped.:disgust:

You are welcome stars...to a few more...the Bordesley Rovers one was too early for me...but the Manager was a C.Baker I note...and he looks a bit like Kenny...? his son...

Bordesley Rovers.jpg Dallaways Garage BGE.jpg BGE Municipal Bank.jpg BGE Nowood Rd.jpg Police Station BGE.jpg

Dennis, the third photo from the left (row of shops in black and white) shows underneath the newsagents window a film poster. The poster is for Mr.Topaze which was Peter Sellers only full-length film directing achievement. Here it is in full size/colour

https://www.chantrellposter.com/Mr-Topaze-Quad-Poster-Original/260

The year is 1961 incidentally and the poster appears also on one of DJNorton's photos this time from the Moseley area.

And here's one some folk will remember if ever you went up BGE on the bus......used to see him round the BGE Inner Circle junction for years in the 80s and 90s...dancing away, thumbs up to the passing motorists...also seen in Green Lane junction...affectionately named Mad Malik..is quite famous and even on You tube...

Mad Malik  BGE.jpg

Back