• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Off licences Outdoors

Phil
I think you are right. Certainly the Justice house is listed as a PH under David Callanin in 1940, and similarly in 1943 under his wife Emily after David died in 1941 (where M&B sent a wreath). She continued it as a PH till at least 1958, but by the 1961 edition of Kellys it was just a beer retailer. The New St Aston one is not clear. Up till 1921 the address was a fried fish dealer , but in the c1923 Kellys is a beer retailer. The large frontage could have been a fried fish shop, or possibly there was a rebuild, as building looks newer than surrounding ones

Despite Bournville being ‘dry’ there was an outdoor on, I think, Beaumont Road. We used to get rough sherry and wine from there. You took a bottle and got it filled up. This was in the 1970s. Viv.

Jmadone

I think Ansells had their fair share of separate outdoors, if you look at my five images above you will see that two out of the five are Ansells.

You're probably right Phil but growing up in the 50s and 60s it seemed to me that the only ones I came across were mostly M & B and went under the name of "Good Cheer Cellars" . There was also a few called "My Cellar" which may have belonged to Ansells.

Viv
I remember hearing about that off licence. I wondered whether it was actually on BVT land, or possibly just outside it, so they had no control.

The good thing about 'outdoors' (jug and bottle in the South West) was youngster could go in and but a bottle of lemonade and a bag of crisps. (Smiths of course - one type only with salt :D) This was useful when the shops were shut in the evenings.
Off Licences were, as far as I recall a shop which sold bottled beers, wines and spirits. Post WW2 they opened at 6pm.
Christmas time we see queues waiting for them to open. Presumably some products - probably wines and spirits - were in short supply at the time.
I remember queuing at one on the Stratford Road near the Robin Hood island (city bound carriageway). This was probably 1946 or 47.

Another Ansell’s one. Looks almost like a pub. But I expect the opening hours were shorter. Viv.

79F1DC07-3A5D-4C3E-9B81-21A9291A43D4.jpeg

Despite Bournville being ‘dry’ there was an outdoor on, I think, Beaumont Road. We used to get rough sherry and wine from there. You took a bottle and got it filled up. This was in the 1970s. Viv.
Didn’t that part of Beaumont Rd come under Cotteridge.

my sister used to own a pub. so i took my body there to be filled

Attachments

• beer good.jpg
    beer good.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2

Not that I ever went there, but hasn't Cadburys Social club always had a licensed bar?

No Phil. Cannot remember the date it changed, but I think in the 1970s. Paul Cadbury was very much against it, being a very strict Friend. He had retired ( I think in around 1965), but still visited the Cadbury archive, which was in the building opposite the main entrance next to the Bournville club, in order to consult papers concerning family matters and trusts he was involved in. After the licence was granted, on leaving the archives he would cross the road rather than walk straight past the club and walk past on the other side of the road, deliberately not looking at the club. I was told this by Frank Stanley, who was in charge of patents and information services, which included the archives

I remember Mrs Neal or Neil had an Off Licence in Stoke St for a time that closed and she opened another one in Granville St. Only used the one in Stoke St a couple of times fetching beer for a woman that lived in Stoke St, but I fetched beer regularly from The Glassmakers Arms outdoor in Granville St, the gaffer was named Jack he used to give me a Whirligig chocolate bar while I was waiting for the two pint bottle to be filled .

There was one top of Moat Lane and Harvey Rd in Yardley that I understand is still there Been there for many years

Five outdoors / off sales from around the Nechells area starting with 1. at the junction of Henry Street and Heneage Street, 2. in Francis Street, 3. the Junction Stores on Long Acre, 4. on Cromwell Street and last 5. on Schofield Street.

Attachments

• Nechells  The Outdoor 81 Henry Street - Heneage Street Nechells Birmingham February 1959.jpg
    Nechells The Outdoor 81 Henry Street - Heneage Street Nechells Birmingham February 1959.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Nechells Francis St Outdoor 1961  .jpg
    Nechells Francis St Outdoor 1961 .jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Nechells Long Acre Junction Stores Outdoor.jpg
    Nechells Long Acre Junction Stores Outdoor.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Nechells Outdoor Cromwell St.jpg
    Nechells Outdoor Cromwell St.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Nechells Outdoor Schlefield St.jpg
    Nechells Outdoor Schlefield St.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 22
thanks phil..my rellies most likely used the one on the corner of heneage and henry streets

lyn

Five outdoors / off sales from around the Nechells area starting with 1. at the junction of Henry Street and Heneage Street, 2. in Francis Street, 3. the Junction Stores on Long Acre, 4. on Cromwell Street and last 5. on Schofield Street.
Do you have a photo of the outdoor in Duddeston Mill Road?

There was a 'My Cellar' on the corner of Dogpool Lane and the Pershore Road which if I recall correctly was Ansells

'The Highbury' pub had an outdoor facing Dogpool Lane - behind the boarded up white door in the photo

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 20.38.14.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 20.38.14.png
    790.4 KB · Views: 13
Back