• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Odeon Perry Barr

Seeing this post reminded me of the time, around 1963 that me & my friends were stopped from entering on the steps of the Odeon by the manager because we were wearing drainpipe jeans. At that time the Villa Cross always showed the same film as the Odeon so, we went there and got in without any problem. The thing that makes me smile now is the film was Walt Disney's "Sword & the Stone".

Seeing this post reminded me of the time, around 1963 that me & my friends were stopped from entering on the steps of the Odeon by the manager because we were wearing drainpipe jeans. At that time the Villa Cross always showed the same film as the Odeon so, we went there and got in without any problem. The thing that makes me smile now is the film was Walt Disney's "Sword & the Stone".

ahh my old villa cross picture house banjo...we wernt posh round there :D happy days

lyn

I never actually went into the Odeon Perry Barr. The only time I was going into that cinema was on a date. He stood me up !!!!
I must have been 15 because I am sure I was working because way back you left on the school holiday after your birthday.

The film described on the notice board of the first photo was released in 1949. Tram overhead seems still to be in place but the 6 Perry Barr route ceased in December of that year.

THE ODEON PERRY BARR. First Pic is the original frontage Second Pic after modernisation Pic Three the foyerView attachment 140223

thanks chris...i didnt realise the frontage had been changed...much prefered the original look and the foyer was surburb...wont look like that now of course...probably all been ripped out...such a shame

lyn

Back