• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Odeon Perry Barr

Hello Franchise Child,

And welcome to the Forum. I'm not personally familiar with the street or your unusual surname, but I'm sure someone will be along in a while who may be.

Maurice

welcome from me too:)...nothing left of franchise st now except for the pub the wellhead tavern and that has closed down...

lyn

Thank you Lyn. The odeon was such a splendid building and Saturday morning cinema was a escape from reality of living in poverty.
Franchise Child

Hello franchise child
If you haven't already seen them you might be interested in two threads below
Christ Church Perry Barr
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/christ-church-perry-barr.46014/post-562538
Birchfield Road Perry Barr
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birchfield-road-perry-barr.38467/post-425615
and there is a pic of the Odeon in post#517 of that thread
also a browse through the Aldridge Road thread shows some pics of the area
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/aldridge-road.37492/post-409233
oldmohawk

Last edited:
I must have left earlier than that I was born in 1947 and went from there to Canterbury across school.
I am one of 6 and have a younger brother and sister

I'd forgotten about this thread. I loved The Odeon, usually where I'd take my girl-friends for a first (and usually last) date. The last film I recall seeing there was 'The Charge Of The Light Brigade', the one with David Hemmings and Trevor Howard, in about 1969. When did it cease being a cinema?

Also, who remembers the big coke pile at the back of the building? This was great fun for us kids - we used to 'ski' down it and get blackened head to foot. One early evening we were doing just that, when suddenly the manager came out and gave us what for. It was the little bald bloke I remember from the Saturday mornings at The Odeon. He must have had a word with Mr Chapman, the headmaster of Canterbury Road Infants School next door, because in morning assembly not long afterwards we were all warned to keep off the coke pile. Or else.

G

I'd forgotten about this thread. I loved The Odeon, usually where I'd take my girl-friends for a first (and usually last) date.

What happened Big Gee? Is it too sensitive or delicate for us to know? You know how inquisitive many of us are. :laughing:

I'd forgotten about this thread. I loved The Odeon, usually where I'd take my girl-friends for a first (and usually last) date.

What happened Big Gee? Is it too sensitive or delicate for us to know? You know how inquisitive many of us are. :laughing:

alan my guess is when they came out of the cinema GG would try and piggy back his girl friends down the coke pile....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

lyn

Back