• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Odeon Perry Barr

How that brings it right back jean, penny bus fare, sixpence to go in, and a threepenny lolly or wafer., do you remember the Ki Ora orange drink?
paul

I think I was there a bit before any of you babbies!!!!!!!!! We sang 'We are the Ovaltinies, Happy Girls and Boys.' The words were on the cinema screen and a ball hit the words as we sang to the accompanying music.

Do any of you remember Terry Pestridge who if he managed to sneak in always got evicted via the doors that were the emergency exits. I don't remember that song Big Gee but I do remember the manager and he later moved to manage the Odeon New Street maybe to get away from us whipper snappers. Did they catch the culprit Di?. Jean.

I believe the manager was one of the Deutch brothers. I also went to the sixpenny crush on Saturday mornings in the fifties, then straight down to Birchfield library in case there was an Enid Blyton book in that I hadn't read!

Pete said the managers name or nick name was Archer or (baldi). They used to wind him up. Pete said he took over the West End at a later date but I think it was the Odeon New street?. Jean.

I used to go to the Saturday morning films at the Odeon Perry Barr with my brother Bill. I remember the song "We come along on a Saturday morning, etc." and the birthday mentions. I also remember singing a hymn when King George died in 1952. We always loved the walk from the Odeon passing by all the shops. I remember the smell from George Baines bakers shop. We would get the No 11 bus near the Methodist Church on Aston Lane and get off at Woolmore Road. Happy times.
Last time I went to the films there was in 1968.

Last edited:
I used to go to Saturday club if you was a member you got in free on your birthday once they showed A Hard Days Night it was packed also i had a badge as proof of membership

Back around 1943-44 my wife and her sister used to work at the PerryBarr Odeon. She was an Usherett and her sister was the icecream usher who stood down front to sell the icecream.

Have a nice day, Wally.

my brother and i used to go to the club on saturday morning in the early sixties, a mr freeman was the manager then. kind reguards sidwho

Thanks for posting that Jennyann, really interesting and informative. I too used to go every Saturday to the kids programmes - and in the week with my dad.

Thanks for that link Jennyanne. Charlie do you remember Terry Pestridge who was always getting kicked out then was let in through the fire doors?. I always had a strawberry Mivi and a hot dog covered in French mustard. Loved my Saturday morning at the Odeon then the rest of the day at Nans in Franchise street. Reckon my mom did too as I could be a right little darling!.

Don't remember him Jean, but I DO remember letting in (and being let in) a number of friends through the fire doors. Ooooh naughty me!
My friend Joan Schuck used to live in Franchise Street.

Don't remember him Jean, but I DO remember letting in (and being let in) a number of friends through the fire doors. Ooooh naughty me!
My friend Joan Schuck used to live in Franchise Street.

Off topic but I remember your friend's surname from Birchfield Road Junior school.

Joan Schuck was at Canterbury Road school with me - the Secondary school, I wasn't in the Junior/Infants.

There was definitely a Schuck in the juniors at Birchfield Road - it's such an unusual name I've remembered it.
Might have been Katherine Schuck?

That must have been part of Joan's family then Pauly. We lost touch some time ago I'm afraid.

Back