• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Odeon Perry Barr

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..heres a pic of the odeon at perry barr and i did not realise it was the first odeon to open in britain.....

astoness:)

Used to go to the childrens morning every Saturday and always had my german sausage covered in mustard and my strawberry ice Loll. Good memories Lyn. Afterward I would visit my nan in Franchise street and get spoiled again. I didn't realise it was the first in Brittain to open. Jean.

hi jean...lovely memories...i used the villa cross pic house on sat mornings and although i have a pic of it i have just come accross one of the inside..boy did the memories come flooding back....i will post it when i can find the right thread....:rolleyes:

lyn:)

have we alf?? i did look to see if there was another one entitled the odeon perry barr but i couldnt see one...there again me eyes aint what they used to be....lol

lyn:):):)

post_old.gif
June 16th, 2005, 11:31 Page 1, Posted by Alf Astoness, Have a look at Birmingham Cinemas. Len.

Last edited:
oops...didnt see that thread....:)

thanks len..maybe admin could move this please to its rightfull place....

cheers

lyn:)

Does anyone remember when the Odeon Perry Barr was painted in camouflage?
Or did I dream it?.lol

Hi Astoness.
Today I drove down the A34 from the Scott Arms towards Brum. About a quarter of a mile past the One Stop, Perry Barr (not an area I know well) there is a building that was obviously a cinema in its day. Is this the Odeon that you are refering to in this thread or was that a different cinema?

Chocks it is the one going towards town from Perry Barr on the left. I spent many a Saturday morning there are my nan lived in Franchise street. Jean.

I remember seeing 'The mouse on the moon' in 1963 at the Perry Odeon, I would be about nine years old. What a treat it was, is the building still there?

Thats unusual Mike - does anyone know the story about the bomb in the Odeon?

I will try to remember to ask my mother, she lived in Perry Barr during the war.

I used to go to the Odeon when I was a child and young teenager. I believe it's some sort of conference/ function hall now? I don't live in Brum but I think my father mentioned it. I would assume it's a listed building seeing as it was the first Odeon?

Jean,

We probably sat in the same row on Saturday mornings. All us kids in Deykin Avenue had a chant - " Penny there , penny back, sixpence in and threepence to spend"
Do you recall, the programme started with a Looney Tunes cartoon, then what is now called a documentary followed by the serial which was the original Batman, Superman or Flash Gordon. Of course they never seemed to show the instalments in the correct sequence ! This was followed by "The Big Film" which was usually a western "B" movie. We used to cheer the goodies and catcall and boo the baddies. The only film in colour was the cartoon.
It was then home for lunch and then up to the Plaza at Stockland Green for the afternoon kids' show.

And the song that started the show was:

"We come along on Saturday morning
"Greeting everybody with a smile.
"Knowing it's all worth while.
"As members of the Odeon Club w
"We all intend to be.
"Good citizens when we grow up
"And champions of the free.
"Greeting everybody with a smile!"

That'd go down a treat in this day and age!

The manager was a little bald bloke with a pencil moustache, who took great delight in evicting any kid he thought was misbehaving. Flash Gordon was definitely my favourite.

Big Gee

Back