• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Odd shaped photo

skillion

proper brummie kid
I found this photo amongst old family pics. It has a weird shape and I wonder if anyone knows why? Judging by the women's clothes it dates to early 1900's. The greenish paper the photo is printed on is 3 1/4 inches x 2 1/2 and is completely blank other than the photo area.
Thanks for any suggestions on this.

It could be a Souvenir photo from a holiday or day trip:)

I have never seen one like that but I think you may be right Alf it may have been shaped as a present.:)

How unusual! When I looked at it the first thing that came to my mind was that the cut out shape resembled a basic silhouette of the Statue of Liberty (head and crown) wierd I know- but the statue was put up late 1880's. Any family connection to NYC/USA?
Polly :)

I think it is the shape of a British Army cap badge or cavalry breast plate badge. Len.

Last edited:
It just looks like something we used to do as kids. Fold a piece of paper in half and cut a shape, then when you open it you have a mirror image.
Possibly a grandchild that done it.

Terry

This is a Worcestershire Regiment Soldiers cross belt badge, i think it is maybe the shape around the photo. Len.

It just looks like something we used to do as kids. Fold a piece of paper in half and cut a shape, then when you open it you have a mirror image.
Possibly a grandchild that done it.

Terry
I Think this may be nearest to the correct answer although others are very similar :)

My Mom used to cut photos about to remove herself or people she had fallen out with. Is this a possibility perhaps?

Thanks for all the suggestions. The photo and paper are one and the same, its not a separate mount, nor is the photo cut out and stuck on. I like the idea of the holiday snap, although I'm still puzzled as to how you make a photo that odd shape?

Ha, You must be right. Is it probably that the masking had information on it like "Greetings from Hastings" or whatever?
Alternatively, one of my distant relatives had a photography business for a while, so he may have experimented with printing photos through masking. I don't know who the people in the photo are.

Back