• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
he open'd a shop on covenrty rd. was it mansuni
We have Farmers Markets in the Nashville/Franklin area, usually on a Saturday or Sunday and frequently you will find a knife sharpener there.
I do my own with a stone, steel or strop. I do remember them in Handsworth and Aston with a small cart or even a bike.

We have Farmers Markets in the Nashville/Franklin area, usually on a Saturday or Sunday and frequently you will find a knife sharpener there.
I do my own with a stone, steel or strop. I do remember them in Handsworth and Aston with a small cart or even a bike.
Nan had one screwed to the end of her kitchen cabinet, it was small square and had about 3 or 4 blades and you scraped your knife through it. And it screeched. But granddad sharpened the carving knife on a special big stone he kept outside. Or on a long tool , this had brought back that Sunday sound.

Nan had one screwed to the end of her kitchen cabinet, it was small square and had about 3 or 4 blades and you scraped your knife through it. And it screeched. But granddad sharpened the carving knife on a special big stone he kept outside. Or on a long tool , this had brought back that Sunday sound.
The long tool is a steel which most butchers had in addition to the stone. The butcher's stone was a wheel moved by a treadle which I had push while they sharpened. The stone is a heavy sharpener the steel for touch up. A strop was used in barber shops to get a very keen edge!

The long tool is a steel which most butchers had in addition to the stone. The butcher's stone was a wheel moved by a treadle which I had push while they sharpened. The stone is a heavy sharpener the steel for touch up. A strop was used in barber shops to get a very keen edge!
I forgot the word, thank you., Did it spark?

On my phone feed a Historical American subject came up, a lady, looks like 1930s had a a small bookcase strapped to her back she was a mobile Library. Did we have those here.?

I think we have now covered almost all likely old occupations , and are now just repeating what has been posted before. So thank you for your contributions. the thread is now locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back