• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations Of The Past

KINS

knowlegable brummie
A friend is researching her family tree and has found details of her great, great, grandfather which on the census reads as "Samish Manufacturer". Does anyone know what that was? Perhaps it is a mis-spelling on the census form but any suggestions would be a help. Cannot find any info. on Google either.
Many thanks - KINS

Is it in the Birmingham area? It sounds like he was a businessman, and so if you look up his name in local directories it should show up with a description of what he is, hopefully not miss-spelt

It could be of assistance to members to post a photograph of the actual Census Entry if possible.

Can you check census before and after that year, possible they may have had same occupation for a number of years.
Perhaps post a few more details (date,name,location etc.) so trade directories could be checked.

Colin

Could it have been a spelling error for Chamois ( leather) Manufacturer, number listed in Birmingham.

Colin

A friend is researching her family tree and has found details of her great, great, grandfather which on the census reads as "Samish Manufacturer". Does anyone know what that was? Perhaps it is a mis-spelling on the census form but any suggestions would be a help. Cannot find any info. on Google either.
Many thanks - KINS

could it be" Varnish Manufacturer" just a thought

I hate to confuse the issue at this time of night but I have just stumbled across the following:
Samish Bay Single Malt Whisky:

It seems it could originate from American Indians but other references to the word Shamish from Hong Kong?

Clarkie

Many thanks for all your helpful comments and I will get more info. from my friend and see what I come up with after that.
KINS

I am researching my family and from the 1891 census find that Lucy Gregory (great grandmother) is a military work stitcher. Can anyone tell me what that is and where she might have worked. She lived in Bridge Street West in Birmingham

Whateley,

Welcome to the Forum. I would have though that she could have worked for any company that supplied the Army with anything that involved sewing, e.g. uniforms, tents, webbing, kitbags, etc. Trade directories of the area might give a clue, but as a lot of these sorts of workers may have worked from home, it would only be guesswork. It's also possible that any company turning out such stuff may be turning out a variety of civilian products too. No personnel records, if they ever kept any, would have survived. I'd look under uniform makers or military suppliers, but that's a best guess.

Maurice

Afraid there is no such section listed, at least not around 1891. There is also no clothing manufacturers section, only a clothing dealers and clothing wholesalers ( which is not the same thing)

I've just searched the whole of Enumeration District 43 which includes this area on Warwickshire Ancestors Project. Plenty of Military Button Stampers and Military Ornament Makers, but only Lucy Gregory has this as an occupation, presumably she is Whateley's ancestor. Might have some connection with the Military Button Makers? But I can't see how.

Maurice

Think this trade card is early-mid 1800s. Mr Bikker of Bradford Street is not simply a glazier and painter, but he carries out gilding, clouding and bronzing as well as marbling. All skills I guess were/are employed in sign painting.

Not too sure what the word says before "glazier". Viv.

image.jpeg

It is plumber from the latin plumbum meaning lead.

I have ammended this post as the original wording was incorrect. The 'plummer' I referenced is of course a surname not a profession. :eek:

Last edited:
In the 1841 directory he just describes himself as a painter and is at 254 Bradford St, but by the 1845 directiry he describes himself as "painter, plumber, etc."

Think that must be the case Alan. He offers so many different services. Be nice to think some of his work still exists around Birmingham, but I somehow doubt it. If he painted shop signs etc they've probably gone, not even visible as a ghost sign. Viv.

Chas Bikker of Bradford Street gets quite a few mentions in the Press.

In October 1853 he was involved in an action, which he lost, against the churchwardens of St John’s Chapel, Deritend where he is described as a plumber, painter, and glazier. And in March 1864 was involved in a contract dispute for the painting of New Street Station.

In April 1861 he had an agreement for painting and colouring of the whole of the wards and premises of the Queen’s Hospital. Later in September cordial thanks were given to him by the Queen’s Hospital Board for his liberality in colouring and decorating the new chapel free of charge in September 1861.

Back