• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think they did Chris. And did I imagine this, or did someone have a job of collecting up discarded milk bottles (not the ones left on the doorstep) ? Then they were sent back for reuse. Viv.

Some occupations still exist but their titles have changed. There were once simply and clearly “cashiers” and “shop assistants” for example. But now we seem to have lots of vaguer titles such as store colleagues, operatives etc. Viv.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Hi

So did Mason's. And in the early 50s, the bottle of pop was only 4 1/2d, so the pop
cost half what the bottle did.

Kind regards
Dave
I have forgotten that 3d back in the bottle. I used to take Gran's empties back and she let me buy sweets with it. Thruppence. It was an M&B Outdoor on the corner of her street. It had a huge mural on the gable end of the leaping stag. I loved it and I knew we were getting nearer Gran's when it came in to view. There were five within a short walk from her house. You don't see offies attached to pubs now. I think they turn them in to snugs. Would you agree? I was told launderettes are disapprearing? My mate's Irish gran called it the bagwash. And Almhouses that are used as such, though we have a few here. Nan used to tell me about the Watercress House.
When I moved in to my first house one house sold milk.
The house next to mine had been a Beer House.
Mine had been a watch repairer using the front room as the shop. My district was full of small businesses.One made rubber stamps.

Some occupations still exist but their titles have changed. There were once simply and clearly “cashiers” and “shop assistants” for example. But now we seem to have lots of vaguer titles such as store colleagues, operatives etc. Viv.
Remember Floor Walkers usually a mature gentleman like Captain Peacock from Are You Being Served, who would give you advice in department stores? Owen Owen used to have a lady serve you and one to wrap your breakables in a proper box with packing. I do miss that store.
One nice lady helped me with a bra when mum was in hospital. Mum said ask for the bra fitter. But they were long gone. One of my older colleagues told me to go and ask for a Mrs so and so, her friend. That was in M&S.

There are still several launderettes locally Nico. I don't use them now but when I was little I used to do the "launderette dance" with Mother each holding the ends of the sheets up off the floor, folding widthways twice then walking towards each other with the ends, a bit like a barn dance!!
rosie.

Lauderettes still get used by people in single rooms and also used to be used by me, until a few years ago, when we were touring around Europe and the UK. It was a handy facility.

Maurice :cool:

front room shops
We used to pay a 1d. for pink pop if you took your own bottle to be filled.... mind you it was weak flat stuff:grinning:

Lauderettes still get used by people in single rooms and also used to be used by me, until a few years ago, when we were touring around Europe and the UK. It was a handy facility.

Our Maurice, there are 24h outdoor Lauderettes on garage forcourts here,dont know about the rest of the country.they are very handy for campers.

Pete,

There's even one here in Aghios Nikolaos, and again it's used by tourists and people living in single rooms or very small flats. I can foresee a need for them in the right places for years to come.

Absolutely Maurice! When our children were you we would take more clothes in our station wagon on holiday than you could shake a stick at! Then we noticed that most places we stayed had a small launderettes, three or four washer and dryers. It took a while to convince my wife to use them for our children's clothes, but quickly realized the benefit! we traveled very light afterward.

There are still several launderettes locally Nico. I don't use them now but when I was little I used to do the "launderette dance" with Mother each holding the ends of the sheets up off the floor, folding widthways twice then walking towards each other with the ends, a bit like a barn dance!!
rosie.
I did that with Nan she made helping her make the beds a game.

Excuse my ignorance, what is a bagwash?

Bob
The Launderette, according to my mate's late gran who was Irish. There is no launderette where I live now. There was one where I used to live in bedsit land. Then the estate agent said all the houses have washing machines, it is expected. Our old one became a shoe shop.
Small Pet shops are rare too apart from big places.
No leather goods shops.
No pork batch shops. Here when I was in my teens some butchers would open a side window for the pubs and clubs at night.
Looking at the news it's the demise of the department store too now.
Remember those shops that sold ribbons and ladies undergarments buttons and linen and muslin.LIke a habadashery plus.
In France I was pleased to see basket wavers still going and rattan chair repairers. My parters cousins laundry basket and her washing basket and shopping baskets are wicker. She was surprised when I said ours are plastic.
They still have creameries too selling dairy products especially cheese. But even they are dwindling.
No fishmongers any more. I used to take the details from the Grimsby fish supplier, A Mr Bark. He called everybody mo' love even if it was a bloke he was talking to. The refrigerated vans came at the weekend on pub car parks I think the minimum buy for a box of fish had 8 pieces in it.
I also took the adverts for the Pick Your Own Fruit farms now dwindling as they are building on them. I remember Cross Lanes, Brandon Lane, Cloudsley Bush it's amazing what sticks in this head!
And The animal food suppliers. Mr Ball of Madeley. A lovely customer. Sigh!

:grinning:a bag wash is were to put your washing in a bag of some sort and take it to a launderette to wash it,or get them to wash it.
and bring it home in a bag:grinning::grinning::grinning:
I still have my parents' laundry bag, they used it for heavy shopping. It's big reinforced sort of woven plastic hessian if that makes sense, blue and white small checked. We use it for small logs twigs and heavy garden rubbish and things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back