• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like mine came from the Bull Ring or near there. Regardless they did not seem to last very long! Today we would say operator error :cool:
we had chicks.off the ragman, i would have given dads sunday suit for one.if i was given half a chance:grinning:

They do Timpsons with High Street and supermarket outlets still have shoe repair key cutting and sometimes dry cleaning operations. In your time in the UK they were shoe shops.
Bob
And watch repairs! At least the one in Barnstaple High St. does.

My first job after leaving school was a trainee typewriter service engineer..Mainly in central Birmingham..in the 60s and 70s in those days every shop and office had at least one machine ,and the larger companies had hundreds...all gone.

I was fascinated watching a guy repair a pub cash register, one of the older mechanical types. It had thousands of small leavers and springs etc. Another job gone with electric cash machines.

Robroy,

I hope you didn't think you had a job for life! We used to have a private typewriter museum in Bournemouth some years ago and when the owner decided he wanted to get rid of it, he offered the typewriters to all the museums and didn't get any takers. I presume that they were eventually just dumped.

Maurice :cool:

In the mid 50's there was a shop in Quinton that repaired ladders in ladies stockings. The person doing the job sat in the front window of the shop. I can't imagine that job exists now.

ahh the old pop delivery man but do not see them these days

lyn
It was a great Saturday job. We went to the Tysley depot for 0800 in 1969/70 Worked all day for a couple of quid. Was still at school then and this paid for a very good night out when a pint cost two shillings. That was the time when a tallish fifteen year old was easily served in most pubs...

I do recall a lot of school kids had these unofficial jobs helping out delivery people like the milkmen etc. They would work all day for a couple of quid.

The coal man was a sight to behold for me as a boy in 1950s Sparkbrook. He carried the sacks of coal off his lorry, onto his back and down our entry way, then he'd tip the contents into the cellar of our back-to-back house. I well remember his blackened face from the coal dust. I wouldn't have recognised him if I'd seen him not working.
I live in Cumbria now and the coal man is still a regular sight up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back