• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although the road crossing sweeper has gone since the introduction of Tarmac, the street cleaner is alive and well. Saw two today in one street. Viv

I still see people undertaking street, and roadside clearance, but these days I think it is mostly those given Community Service orders.
Eddie

Anyone remember the knife sharpener man who used come door-to-door with a grinding wheel? Was it a named occupation? Not seen or heard of one of those for a long, long time. Viv.

The coal man was a sight to behold for me as a boy in 1950s Sparkbrook. He carried the sacks of coal off his lorry, onto his back and down our entry way, then he'd tip the contents into the cellar of our back-to-back house. I well remember his blackened face from the coal dust. I wouldn't have recognised him if I'd seen him not working.

Our local petrol station in Moseley has an attendant. I wouldn't call that out in the sticks!!
Janice

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the beer enthusiasts out there, some of these 6 ale occupation names are no longer in use. Any volunteers for the ale conner role?! Viv.

image.jpeg

One of the old methods for testing ale was supposedly to sit in it in leather breeches and see if the breeches stuck to the bench after a period of time, though there seem to be some differences as to how the results were to be judged (https://zythophile.co.uk/false-ale-...-in-it-and-seeing-if-they-stuck-to-the-bench/). There may be some truth in the story. Speaking as a chemist it might show whether sugars had been added to the brew (providing they had not all been turned to alcohol), but I it would probably only relatively recently have been an economical benefit to do that, because of the present low price of sugar

An occupation that hasn't entirely disappeared, but one that is less common. Demand for baskets must have significantly tailed off with the introduction of alternative containers and materials. Demand still exists, but I suspect it's mainly in the home decor/storage market. And are these products today made by a machine or hand ? Viv.

image.jpeg

The theory was that the furring was attracted to the coiled wire. Don't recall furring was that big a problem with Brum water.
furring was due to lime,in hard water.the rolling around of the items put in the kettel stopped it sticking. electric irons suffer'd from furring. as people called it. washing machines still do there is a tv add. for a chemical. that stops it it.

Last edited:
Nan had a mangle which broke all the new plastics buttons and bent the metal ones. My aunt who ran a children's home had her charges sent home from school as they couldn't afford to supply them with the uniform which included starched shirt collars. They had rubber ones which you wiped she said. I do remember the seperate collars fastned with a button at the back I think, and collar stiffeners.
Mum's 1st job was in a grocer's shop. She weighed the butte and patted it with wooden patters? They were grooved and smaller than table tennis bats. Some old ladied only wanted a tiny piece of butter which she would weigh and wrap in grease proof paper. Her 2nd job was in a metal bucket factory. I think they are mostly plastic now. They also made coal scuttles. Two of my mates' dads were a French polisher and a brass polisher. Did your mum write her name on the sheets Sylvia or did she sew them on or embroider them on?
1549291718405.png

#229, "disappearing park keepers", this is just a sympton, of Modern Britain, to have things such as Parky's, and patrol crossing wardens, and other forms of behavioural controls, you need a disciplined and respectful society. Britain now has at least 2 generations who have never known any form of discipline or been taught any type of respect for others. When I was young it was endemic, in both infant, and junior school education. Paul

The Greeks and Romans , knew what happens when you have a society that has lost the ability to be disciplined "Chaos".Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back