• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations - Disappeared

Nico

master brummie
Paddling Pool Attendants. And First Aid stations manned by kindly old ladies with sticking plasters and compassion

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Remember Park Keepers? And the Nit Nurse. The School Nurse. Do they still have Dinner Ladies as in ones walking round the playground? We had Parrot Face and Fish Face. The Bread Man who delivered the bread. Nan had a big wicker basket for it on her step. There were two men where I worked. One of the wise crackers called them the men with no jobs. To their faces. Off the Newsroom was the Creed Room. These 2 chaps took faxed news bulletins to the News Desk all day. Copy runners. Errand runners. Proof Readers. The Block Store where they files the metal blocks when it was hot metal. Then plastic plates came in,.. Then Pasted Up artwork. Compositors, the chap who pressed out the made up pages to be cast. Foundry men. Linotype operators, colour process operatives, machine minders, the men who put the plates on the presses, the men who monitored the papers trundling off and
as i have posted i was a park keeper. at weekends. when it was bham city parks dept and small holdings.

Nico

master brummie
yer i felt like a railway guard:grinning:
And Cemetery Keepers who had a house in the grounds. And Gate Keepers in lodges. Nan's cousin lived in one as housekeeper, her husband was the chauffeur. When he retired they got booted out.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Nico i was going to join the parks police.but the councill took over the parks dept and it was disbanded.and we got booted out

Nico

master brummie
I was telling my Leicester mate about this. His uncle who was blind was a gate keeper. Unpaid. He opened a gate on to private land where a road/path ran through it. There was a bell on the locked gate. He would come down and oblige from his cottage. A good walk says my mate. He recognised people by their voice. Those who were short with him were denied entry.

Nico

master brummie
My dad got expenses at Coventry City FC as a Steward. On the terraces. He wore a Sky blue nylon coat. He kept order. He quit when it got rough. early 70s. Thugs.

Nico

master brummie
In our local family run funeral company, they employed an elderly lady to sit with bereaved families and just talk to them, if they wanted to. And explain things or just listen. Her name was Vi. A friend of ours delivered flowers in a small van. When no mourners were around he would grab Vi and swing her around for a waltz. Or a polka. Then she would try and compose herself.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Nico,

I used to work occasionally with a trumpet player in Christchurch, who ran a funeral service. If you were gigging with him, while the band was playing he would come out with the most amazing stories and have the other members of the band so creased up with laughter that they would struggle to play. In one particular hiotel, we were all laughing so much that one old guest told the hotel manager that we were laughing at him. Of course, we weren't, but we still got hauled up into the office to explain ourselves. :)

Maurice :cool:

Nico

master brummie
5 Crazy Jobs That You Don't Need Anymore! | British Pathé

Re the Urine Collector job. I read a good book I am sure it was called Black Rain, apertaining to coal dust that got in to everything, even the rain. There is another book with this title, mine was about Welsh miners. In it there was a character a lady who emptied the loos every day and collected it in buckets her name was Sarah The Pissio.

Dave89

master brummie
R. In it there was a character a lady who emptied the loos every day and collected it in buckets her name was Sarah The Pissio.

Hi,

In the past it was used in the cloth dyeing industry as a mordant, - it set the colours fast in the cloth.

Kind regards
Dave

Arnold Mason

master brummie
5 Crazy Jobs That You Don't Need Anymore! | British Pathé

Looking at this video reminded me of when my mother would go to the grocers at the Warley Odeon
( Singletons ) where they would roast coffee in the shop. The smell of roasting coffee is so distinctive I can still remember it now after 70 years but is not found in any shops now.

Richarddye

master brummie
Looking at this video reminded me of when my mother would go to the grocers at the Warley Odeon
( Singletons ) where they would roast coffee in the shop. The smell of roasting coffee is so distinctive I can still remember it now after 70 years but is not found in any shops now.
In the mid 60s I worked for Maxwell House Coffee. I loved the roasting coffee, unfortunately the smell permeated my clothes and hair. I was taking classes at University in the evening and received a number of complaints from other students and Professors! Took later classes and went home to shower (sometimes)