• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupational Awarded Titles

Snowball

master brummie
I am puzzled at how individuals various trades were recognised as having better than ordinary skills. For example one of my ancestors was a hairdresser, this was on several sucessive census forms but on the last census form he was described as hairdresser - master. Did he earn this additional title or just add it to satisfy his own ego. He was not the most honest of all my ancestors, the next census after becoming a "master" he was in jail - where he was described as "prisoner - barber", I'll bet his wife was impressed !

I'm also concerned at the title "journeyman" - what does this mean exactly and were there any restrictions on adding this to your trade title. i have an ancestor whose trade description was Tailor - journeyman. I assume that this does not mean he made uniforms for train drivers and bus conductors ?

Regards, Snowball.:D

Hi Colin, thanks for the information. Can you please clarify the following - after you had completed anappropriate apprenticeship you became a tradesman and then needed to pass another exam or probationary period BEFORE you became a Journeyman OR once you became a tradesman you were automatically called a Journeyman, in which case the terms are the same but were probably used in different time periods. Were these titles governed by guilds or what ?

Regards, Snowball.

Hi Colin, thanks for the information. Can you please clarify the following - after you had completed anappropriate apprenticeship you became a tradesman and then needed to pass another exam or probationary period BEFORE you became a Journeyman OR once you became a tradesman you were automatically called a Journeyman, in which case the terms are the same but were probably used in different time periods. Were these titles governed by guilds or what ?

Regards, Snowball.

Have a look here:)There a bit of reading to do but worth it
Snowball
https://www.public.iastate.edu/~gbetcher/373/guilds.htm

From a dictionary of old trades,titles and occupations.

Journeyman. Fully qualified tradesman who had served an apprenticeship of any trade. Origionally he was employed and paid by the day as opposed to a MASTER who would have his own business where he could set his own rates and employ others.

I'm not sure when the old 'GUILD' system disappeared from most trades; but in the case of my gg grandfather, when he finished his apprenticeship as a watch-maker, he had to produce and present a piece of his own work before a Guild committee, where he was questioned and his work inspected. Then a vote was taken as to whether he could advance to the position of 'journeyman'. This process was repeated again, after some years as a 'journeyman' watch-maker, whereby he had to present his 'master-piece' (the origin of the word) before being made a fully-fledged Master Craftsman. He had to make an entire watch, every single part, including its case...the only exception being the watch glass.
I suppose it was mass-production, plus trade-unions (which probably fulfilled some of the functions of a trade-guild?) that saw the demise of the power of the guilds.....as you know, the system has carried on, under an employer/college based system until the present day. Although I believe it still exists, under its old form (?) with gold/silver smiths.

My own father was always insistent on being called a 'Master Pattern Maker' as he said that he had worked hard enough for it, he was damn-well going to be called it! It meant more to him than being a 'boss' or any other title.

I believe there was even more to this system: involving who was allowed to employ others; to offer apprenticeships etc. Including rates of pay and the care of retired members, and those fallen on hard times...widows and orphans etc.

To sum up the situation as it existed in olden times. There were three stages

Apprenticeship Often for 7 years when you were bound by an apprenticeship to a master. At the end of which you produced an apprentice piece to show that you have acquired the skills of the trade or craft when you were advanced to

Journeyman. From the French jour meaning day. This showed that you were fully qualified in your craft but could not work on your own account. You were employed by a master and paid by the day. This is the origin of the word Journeyman. After a set time you produced your masterpiece and were then advanced to

Master. One who could trade on his own account, employ journeymen and train apprentices.

All these were assessed by the officials of the trade or craft guilds.

In the City of London many of these old guilds still exist where they are known as Livery Companies. Although they still exist they have in many cases lost their connection with their original trades and have become social and charitable institutions. Some however still have a role in their trade, for instance the London Assay Office is still controlled by the Goldsmiths Company. The Fishmongers Company still check the weights and measures in Billingsgate Fish Market. The Fanmakers who used to make ladies fans now promote studies in ventilation equipment. In the past 50 years there has been a move to create new livery companies and there are now 108 in the City of London the most recent of which is the Taxi Cab Drivers.

Back