• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupation Modeller

handbar

Brummie babby
In the 1861 census for Edwin Wilson who is living in Brougham Street, his occupation is given as a Modeller. Would anyone know what this would entail at this time and possibly where it would have taken place? His father Edwin was also a Modeller. Thank you.

I'm sure you've seen that he is listed as just a modeller or designer & modeller on the other censuses up to 1911.

However, on the 1921 census his occupation appears to be listed as 'formerly sign modeller and designer'. If that means in sign writing or something a little more I'm not sure.

His marriage or the birth/baptism of his children may contain more info.

I'm sure you've seen that he is listed as just a modeller or designer & modeller on the other censuses up to 1911.

However, on the 1921 census his occupation appears to be listed as 'formerly sign modeller and designer'. If that means in sign writing or something a little more I'm not sure.

His marriage or the birth/baptism of his children may contain more info.
Thank you for that. I am looking in to other records now.

A dictionary of occupations suggests:
Modeller: a designer in the pottery industry, responsible for making clay models of items to be manufactured.

A dictionary of occupations suggests:
Modeller: a designer in the pottery industry, responsible for making clay models of items to be manufactured.
Thank you for replying. I did look up the occupation in a list of old occupations but could not see anything relevant to where the family were living. I just wondered if anyone had local knowledge about being a modeller in that area.

I did wonder if they made up clay models for the jewellery trade so clients could pick a design before it was made up in precious metals and gems.

In the late sixties I worked for a company that built petroleum plants and hospital sterilization systems. We had a large room full of models showing all of the piping runs at the new and developing plants.The people there, men and women were called modelers or model makers. They were paid very well!

With the advent of CAD (computer aided design), by the early 80’s most were made redundant.

In the late sixties I worked for a company that built petroleum plants and hospital sterilization systems. We had a large room full of models showing all of the piping runs at the new and developing plants.The people there, men and women were called modelers or model makers. They were paid very well!

With the advent of CAD (computer aided design), by the early 80’s most were made redundant.
Thank you. That is interesting.

Back