• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupation - 1916

Nicola C

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone.
I am researching an ancestor of my husband on ancestry and have been looking at some records, I was hoping for some insight if possible, please. This ancestor was living on Morville Street in Birmingham and before his marriage, he was working as a 'pen worker' and his industry was 'pen works'.

By 1916 he was married with a daughter and on her baptism record he is listed as working as a 'pen hardiner'.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks and Merry Christmas
Nicky x

Attachments

• l.png
    l.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
Pen nib, made in their millions in Birmingham, were high quality pieces of spring steel. To make them would have required a number of hear treatment and or hardening processes involving heating and quenching in either oil or water.

The best place to find out in detail is the pen museum in the jewellery quarter. They are a super help group of people 0121 236 9834

You could try asking at the pen museum.
Contact details ar bottom of page

Last edited:
Pen nib, madeThank in their millions in Birmingham, were high quality pieces of spring steel. To make them would have required a number of hear treatment and or hardening processes involving heating and quenching in either oil or water.

The best place to find out in detail is the pen museum in the jewellery quarter. They are a super help group of people 0121 236 9834
Thanks for the input

Back