• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Obtaining Service Records And Unclaimed Medals

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
I recently discovered that it is possible to obtain unclaimed war medals (WW2 and later) and service records (1920 onwards) for your next of kin. My wife sent for her father’s records and medals at the beginning of September. She received the service records middle of October and the medals just after Christmas (they say up to 12 weeks for the medals but it looked as though they delayed posting until after the Christmas rush).

For medals:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-medal

You will need to be next of kin and will have to provide a copy of the person’s death certificate. The application form can be downloaded from the above web site. There is no charge.

For service records

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

You will have to send off 2 forms which can be downloaded from the web site: –

Request Form
Relevant Search Form – different form for each service.
and a copy of the person's death certificate.

Cost is £30 although there’s no fee if you were the person’s spouse or civil partner at the time of their death (or their parent if there was no spouse).

I do not think this has been posted before on the forum, but apparently FROM 1ST APRIL 2023 there will be no charge for service records . No refunds if you apply before and there may well be a long wait for results

Back