• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Obtaining medals

Steve.c

knowlegable brummie
Hi,
My grandfather has recently passed away, he was in the Royal Navy during WWII and served on several ships before eventually switching to the Submarine Service. When he left the Navy his children (My father and uncles) lost his medals playing in the garden.

I have just 2 of his service medals, one being the 39 - 45 star. I would dearly love to get copies made of all his medals and put in a presentation box for my father.

Does anyone know where I need to contact to find out which medals he was awarded and if there are any search fees?

Many thanks

Steve

I checked medal rolls for my uncle at Kew Record Office and was able to purchase a copy in the 1980,s
I obtained a medal from a second hand shop as I found it impossible to get a replacement medal from official sources.
I hope this is of some help to you.
I must add this was for a WW1 Soldier.

I have a listing of various contact addresses sent to me for the Army and Navy

Royal Navy
Offficers born in 1914 and later and Ratings enlisted after 1924
DNPers
Disclosure Cell
MP G-2
Room 48
West Battery
Whale Island
Portsmouth
PO2 8SX
Telephone: 0239262 8654/8666/8667/8670/8671

Other Useful Contact Addresses

Service Medal Enquiries
MOD Medical Office
Building 250
Imjin Barracks
Gloucester
GL3 1HW
Telephone: 0800 085 3600

Hope this helps but if not I'm sure someone on here will have more info.

Suzanne

Back